View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 04:54 AM   #4
Marek
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I really prefer the more colorful cartoon style of the original (probably because it's not done quite as often as the semi-realistic look), but I do think the art direction on Tony Tough 2 is a million times better if you just take the different style for what it is.

Although Evan always declared me mad for saying so, I was extremely bothered by Tony Tough's excessive use of the burn and dodge tool. It's a very ugly way of applying shading if you don't do it right, and it often made Tony Tough look very amateur. The perspectives chosen in Tony Tough were also not that great. You were always looking at things from the side, as if the all the scenes were really just sets on a theater stage. Compare this with other cartoon games like Day of the Tentacle or Sam & Max and you can really tell the difference.

I really like Tony Tough 2's art direction though. It looks like they've tried to give the world some character by adding papers, dust, cracks, etc., which makes it look less like the routine shiney pre-rendered deal. This is weird and no one will probably agree with me but it kind of strikes me as a daylight version of City of the Lost Children (the game).