View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 09:47 AM   #28
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
But it's the "worst" part that's important here. We all know these are violent games. We don't need a group to tell us what we can read from the boxes - thanks to the rating system, these games are clearly marked as being violent (unless we're talking about Gunslinger Girls, in which case we'd probably have to know japanese to understand what the box says). Nobody needs a list of ten random violent games (out of x amount of violent games released this year).
I must be honest but I think the "Worst" is the least important thing about this list. They wanted to grab media coverage and the "Worst Violent Games" makes greater sound-bite material than "Ten games that we picked at random all of which are pretty darn violent" Saying there are more violent games is just adding fuel to their fire. Can you imagine the field day they could have with some of the stuff in this thread?

News Headline : Gamer Forum reveals more depravity than even we suspected!!

Remember, part of the reason groups like these gain power is by making sensationalist claims like these with enough verifiable truth (the games in the list ARE voilent) to convert more people to their cause.

I think what we need to concentrate on is the other side of their story. The 10 "Non-Violent" games. We've already had many comments showing how flawed the list is as it stands. What say we compile our own list of commercially available non-violent games? We can then challenge their idea of non-violence and show how easy a proper list of this sort is to compile. In fact, I think I'll go start a thread for this now.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree