View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 05:13 AM   #2
ConcreteRancor
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
He was arrested after a protest outside the sudanese embassy. Not that Interesting in it's self, I know. However I was interested to read what he was charged with:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/3600520.stm

Can any americans just tell me, what is an "Unlawful Assembly"? I got a bigbrother vibe from that statement and was wondering whether I misunderstood. Do you have to get permission in the US for a certain number of people to gather to protest, or is it just outside an embassy/certain buildings?
Well, you got a Big Brother vibe because it's a Big Brother move. It's supposed to be a right to assemble peacefully. Unless the protest was damaging public property or hurting people, (which doesn't seem to be the case,) there shouldn't have been an arrest. I think what we have here is a case of a few petty cops who seized the opportunity to take a "stuck-up actor" down a few pegs.

And as far as stars protesting go, I really don't have a problem with it. If they're asked to speak, fine, go ahead. Sure, they may think that people will listen to them more because they're famous, but unfortunately, they're right. What pisses me off is stars protesting for PR purposes, not because of their own beliefs, and when they have no ****ing idea what they're talking about. This doesn't seem to be the case with Danny Glover. The Sudan protests, despite being against the "biggest humanitarian crisis in the world today," have gotten relatively little press compared to the everyday anti-war protests. For a celebrity to get behind it shows that he really cares about it.