View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #783
inm8#2

I think it's a GK HD remake. It makes perfect sense.

Jane has said many times she has spoken to Activision about GK. She has said it's possible to do GK4 in the future, but she really needs to convince them it would be a profitable venture.

Activision probably wants to know how interested people still are in the GK franchise. Before fully investing into a new title, they tell Jane they support her doing an HD upgrade/remake of GK1 to assess the viability/appeal of the franchise.

I'm going to soften my stance against remakes. They're not all bad. I think the Monkey Island remake/upgrade was well done. More importantly, it incorporated the original game and allowed the user to seamlessly transition between the two versions. My main concern with remakes is when the original version becomes forgotten or buried. But, a GK remake done right could keep the feel of VGA version well intact using the original voice acting, and maybe Robert will update some of the music (though it wouldn't be necessary).

A GK remake could attract a new generation of fans and bring the older ones out of the shadows. It could get people really excited for the series, allow them to play the other two games (buy through GOG!), and then become full supporters of a GK4. I think this is the most logical or least risky path to a GK4 from Activision's point of view.

So, I fully support this if it's the case. My knee jerk reaction really comes from thinking about what George Lucas did to the Star Wars original trilogy. While neither Jane nor virtually any other entertainer/artist is anything like George Lucas in that regard, I'd feel a bit of regret if newer GK fans didn't get to experience the original game, or at least something very close to it.

My concern is that we have this trend of upgrading and updating older games to make them more appealing to modern audiences. I think that as this practice becomes more prevalent, it sort of diminishes the value of these older games. We use the term "classic" to represent the game itself and the achievement it is given the era from which it game. When we replace the classic games with newer versions, that historical significance goes a bit unnoticed.

I trust Jane will do what's best for the franchise, the fans, and herself. I have more confidence in her than in anybody else in the gaming industry. Of course, the mystery game could be something else entirely. I'll support that too!

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown

Last edited by inm8#2; 05-04-2012 at 12:09 PM.