View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Arial Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgealarcon View Post
Your survey is very interesting. I hope you can post the results of your survey here at http://www.adventuregamers.com
Of course, I will post them here as soon as the survey will be over (I need minimum of 100 votes for a proper sampling). Thank you for the interest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
I don't actually mind advertising in games, especially if they help a free game stay free or help keep costs down for developers who need to watch their budgets carefully, and for the most part I think it's tastefully done. There's nothing really wrong in seeing a billboard for Coke while driving around in a racing game, it makes sense in the context of the reality they're trying to create.

That being said, there are cases where advertising can intrude on the gaming experience and that's where it can get a little iffy ehtics-wise. The moment that sticks out for me is in Alan Wake, where you flip on a TV during an intense trek through a cabin only to find a Verizon ad which feels completely out of place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Ek...eature=related. I understand Remedy need to make some concessions for budgetary reasons and probably did it begrudgingly but something like this compromises the integrity of the game.
Yes, that's what interest me in the first place: how marketers understand gamers' needs and otherwise. Because I know how a lot of gamers consider any form of marketing as pure evil and brainwashing that ruins gaming experience. It might be true to some extent, but people don't seem to understand that without marketing a lot of companies will be out of business, and the whole industry will just collapse. It already reached the level of movie or TV industry in terms of auditory and money, and it will continue to grow.

And with development of technologies and marketing communications it is easier to make ads less frustraiting and more "customable". That's why I tried to focus more on digital advertising rather than on simple product placement, which might be quite irritating, like in the Alan Wake example. Thank you for the useful comment!

Last edited by Arial Type; 01-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.