You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Advertising in Video Games survey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #1

Default Advertising in Video Games survey

Good day everyone!

I'm currently conducting a survey for my dissertation on Marketing. It is about advertising in video games, how video games utilize different advertising methods, how people response to them and how these methods can be improved in the future, hopefully for the benefit of both marketers and gamers.

I know, it is "one of these" online surveys by students, and the topic is not very popular among gamers, so the level of response from the major gaming communities is not very high. Still the data is very important for my research. Adventure games may not be the best source for the info on advertisement, but I know many of you like other genres.

So if you can spend 5 minutes on my survey, I will be most grateful. There are only 10 questions, and I tried to make them as simple as possible. The service SurveyMonkey is safe and doesn't require any registration. I kindly appreciate everyone's participation and will answer any question!

Here's a full link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/33BMRBD
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #2

Default Advertising in Video Games

Your survey is very interesting. I hope you can post the results of your survey here at http://www.adventuregamers.com
Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I don't actually mind advertising in games, especially if they help a free game stay free or help keep costs down for developers who need to watch their budgets carefully, and for the most part I think it's tastefully done. There's nothing really wrong in seeing a billboard for Coke while driving around in a racing game, it makes sense in the context of the reality they're trying to create.

That being said, there are cases where advertising can intrude on the gaming experience and that's where it can get a little iffy ehtics-wise. The moment that sticks out for me is in Alan Wake, where you flip on a TV during an intense trek through a cabin only to find a Verizon ad which feels completely out of place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Ek...eature=related. I understand Remedy need to make some concessions for budgetary reasons and probably did it begrudgingly but something like this compromises the integrity of the game.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgealarcon View Post
Your survey is very interesting. I hope you can post the results of your survey here at http://www.adventuregamers.com
Of course, I will post them here as soon as the survey will be over (I need minimum of 100 votes for a proper sampling). Thank you for the interest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
I don't actually mind advertising in games, especially if they help a free game stay free or help keep costs down for developers who need to watch their budgets carefully, and for the most part I think it's tastefully done. There's nothing really wrong in seeing a billboard for Coke while driving around in a racing game, it makes sense in the context of the reality they're trying to create.

That being said, there are cases where advertising can intrude on the gaming experience and that's where it can get a little iffy ehtics-wise. The moment that sticks out for me is in Alan Wake, where you flip on a TV during an intense trek through a cabin only to find a Verizon ad which feels completely out of place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Ek...eature=related. I understand Remedy need to make some concessions for budgetary reasons and probably did it begrudgingly but something like this compromises the integrity of the game.
Yes, that's what interest me in the first place: how marketers understand gamers' needs and otherwise. Because I know how a lot of gamers consider any form of marketing as pure evil and brainwashing that ruins gaming experience. It might be true to some extent, but people don't seem to understand that without marketing a lot of companies will be out of business, and the whole industry will just collapse. It already reached the level of movie or TV industry in terms of auditory and money, and it will continue to grow.

And with development of technologies and marketing communications it is easier to make ads less frustraiting and more "customable". That's why I tried to focus more on digital advertising rather than on simple product placement, which might be quite irritating, like in the Alan Wake example. Thank you for the useful comment!

Last edited by Arial Type; 01-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Filmfreak

Filled in the survey.

I don't mind seeing billboards for actual products ingame, or vending machines, as long as there is variation in it. If a city ONLY has Pepsi-billboards for instance, it'll become too much.

What I DO mind is having to wait and sit through a commercial ingame.

But I feel the same about the internet. If a site needs to have advertising banners, then I don't mind. Even if they move. What I do mind is if they make sound automatically, or if they hamper my surfing and I can't skip them.

Bottom line: I don't mind advertising if it's in view but otherwise unintrusive. I HATE advertising if it wastes my time by having to sit through it...
Old 01-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #6

Thank you, TimovieMan! Critical evaluation is something I'm reall missing on the other gaming boards. And by intrusive ads you can't skip through you ment online or offline gaming?

Last edited by Arial Type; 01-18-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
Thank you, TimovieMan! Critical evaluation is something I'm reall missing on the other gaming boards. And by intrusive ads you can't skip through you ment online or offline gaming?
Both.

In an offline game, I prefer the intro movies to be skippable. Especially if one of the logo movies is not of the developer, producer or publisher but of a brand name sponsor, and even moreso if it takes too long.

Ingame commercials (like that example of Alan Wake) would really bug me if they feel out of place. If it's well-integrated product placement, then I wouldn't mind so much. Just as long as it isn't very in-your-face.

In an online game, I'm quite content to play a game with lots of (quiet) banners all around, but I don't like watching a 30 second commercial before the main menu of the game is visible.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #8

Ah, I see what you mean. I agree, it is the most annoying kind. In a movie you see it only once, but here you have to watch it again and again, every time you start the game.

Thank you for all responses so far! Please, keep answering, I still need more people.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Freeware Co-ordinator

As I mentioned in my survey entry,. I see them as a necessary evil. I play a lot of free online games (especially for my position as freeware co-ordinator here) and I accept that advertising revenue is what makes these games available free. I'll even accept that they sometimes have to be a bit more intrusive to do that.

I get what TimovieMan says about it being annoying having to sit through an advert before playing. I do think that a lot of online games do these over loading screens (i.e. you'd have to wait to start playing anyway so no time is lost) but that may be partly due to not having super-fast broadband speedds where I live.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #10

Interesting. Several people on other boards also mentioned that long loading screens might be a result of persistent marketing. This may be a good subject to investigate. Thank you, stepurhan!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Schattenjäger

it can really depend. If i paid $60 for a game and i have to get hit with ads that are poorly integrated with the game world, that is extremely annoying. The best ads in videogames are ones that are tailored to fit the game with themey references, and should have some kindv humorous element.
And clearly, if the game is free then ads are forgivable. But its a delicate balance and could definitely hurt the experience if not handled well.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #12

Thank you, zane, and everyone for participating in my survey! Your anwers and comments were very helpful. I'm closing the survey now, as I already have enough answers (over 250!). I can't edit my first post and remove the link, so if you tried it out, sorry for that. Anyway, it was a great experience, and I will post the results as soon as they will be approved by supervisors.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #13

I was late to fill the survey, but here are my comments:

With good game design, adventure games could be very effective means of advertising if the subject is integrated in the plot as seamlessly as possible. People develop nostalgic feelings for things they used/manipulated/visited in a game they enjoyed.

For example, Yoomurjak's Ring was originally a marketing tool for the town it features. But it doesn't suggest 'hey, come and visit us'. The plot simply takes you to places which exist in reality. Since the release of the game, the hotel where the protagonist stayed has become a kind of pilgramage destination (and everyone wants to stay in room 15).

Although there were many other places visible in the game (shops, restaurants, etc. ), those places have attracted considerably more interest which had important part in the plot. In general, this could also work for a computer, a cellphone, a motorbike (GK3), or anything that can have a role in the game.
I whish those marketing departments played more adventures...

Last edited by Pilaus; 01-24-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #14

Thank you for the comment, Pilaus!
Yes, adventure games are not usually used for marketing. But I'm afraid that unless they start making big money, they won't attract sponsors. And that means they will remain a "cheap", niche genre. I think that to revive it today we need something extraordinary and fresh, probably from indie developers. Like Portal or Minecraft. Companies won't invest money into something like Gabriel Knight 3 or The Last Express today, because they want their money back, and those games were not able to sell at all.

I think Heavy Rain used product placement though, just can't recall what it was... And while over 2 million copies were sold, but I don't think it associates with adventure gaming in people's minds.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #15

I finally received news from my university after two long months of waiting. Thanks to your support, I have successfully received my master's degree!

It's funny how fast the situation with videogames changes. Two months ago there was no talk about Kickstarter. Now people can support their favourite developers without involvement of sponsors and publishers. Wait a bit longer, and it might grow into a fully functional competitive ad-free model.

As promised, I'm posting the results (just in time before the forum reconstruction). 236 people from 6 different gaming websites participated in the survey. The survey itself is not available anymore, so here's a set of nice diagrams I constructed for my work.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Arial Type; 04-14-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #16
Filmfreak

Congrats on obtaining the master's degree!

What was the conclusion of your survey? Any new insights?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #17

Thanks, TimovieMan!
I made a number of conclusions based on the survey and other information collected from different sources. Sadly, I didn't have time to question game publishers and collect more primary data. In short, vg advertising may prove effective and allows to target different types of people, although price and customer's attitude play an important role and should be considered more. I analysed those factors and came up with several recommendations.