View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Mad Manny

Default Your biggest "aha"-moment?

Have you ever had one of those great "aha"-moments in an adventure-game where all the sudden in a flash everything falls together in your head and all the sudden you understand something?
If so I would love to hear about that experience.

Mine was in Blackwell 3/Convergence:
Spoiler:
Like in all BW games I was just following along the standard blackwell-formula of seeing a ghost then looking him up in the phonebook then learning something random from his life and that's how you set a ghost free apparently,
in this case there were 3 of them (in this order):
1) Movie-star actor.
2) Painter.
3) Inventor.

The first one was rather straight-forward, I solved it quickly (but the redundant locations stayed on the map, like his studio exec office).
During the painter-investigation I for some reason interviewed his financiers, then I looked into the inventor and I found that his competition too was financed by the same financiers, i.e. in both case 2 & 3 there was a company benefiting from the deaths,
then I walked around a bit for a couple of seconds and THEN IT HIT ME, "-AHA! I wonder...", and then I ran straight to the redundant movie-office to ask about the financiers and low and behold they too was financed by them!

I just thought those 5 seconds of eurika-joy was so awesome, it's a shame however that so few other games has that, and I wouldn't count a cutscene-twist as a "aha"-moment, for it to be powerful it has to be like a connection snap that happens in your brain, not something that happens on-screen IMO.

In other words something which you just want to stand up and point to the screen and say "AHA!".

Last edited by Mad Manny; 01-16-2012 at 10:59 AM.