View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

My apologies. I meant to come back to this thread and give you some feedback.

Having settled into the role of Freeware Co-ordinator, I now play a lot of games each month for the article and not everything makes it in. Having played a good chunk of Cyber, there were a few things that put me off including it.

As already mentioned, the translation is a bit rough. I appreciate that you're not a native English speaker but, by making appeals on forums like this one, it's relatively easy to recruit English speakers to proofread your text. Whilst some players will be willing to work through this, a lot will be put off. By the way, having read the Translations section, I note that any modifications of the text files have to be passed by you for approval. Requiring approval by the original game author doesn't sound very much like an "Open" arrangement. This also raises the question of how you would go about approving text files in a language you don't know.

The controls didn't operate in a consistent manner when it came to conversations. Normally you would click on an item to get it to appear in the action window. To interact you'd then click in the action window. To continue conversations you had to click on the character in the main window instead. This raises the question of the need for the action window at all. Why do I have to click my computer twice (effectively) to check e-mails?

But the thing that really put me off were that chunks of the story and puzzles didn't make sense.

The most glaring example from a story point of view is the K-X3000's themselves. They are stated from the outset as having made policemen and detectives obsolete. This presumably means that they are much better at cracking down on crime than either. This being the case, how can the player character, who is on the fringes of criminal society at worst, obtain a device that COMPLETELY INCAPACITATES THEM? He doesn't even find this difficult or expensive to do. Surely real criminals would be mass-producing such devices and laughing at the authorities that put their trust in such easily disabled machines.

As for puzzles that don't make sense, the one to remove the attendant is a good example.

Spoiler:
You check his name badge and then phone up the number in an e-mail and say that name. Firstly, the e-mail reads like a standard scam spam e-mail, hardly something a detective would rely on. Secondly, are you saying that there is some law in this world that prevents more than one person having a particular name? If not, the whole premise of locating someone by name is fatally flawed. Thirdly, even if names are unique, how does a private company locate a named person? The guy could be at work, at home, in a bar, in another country, etc, etc. Unless private companies can track the movement of every citizen (in which case the main character's breaking and entering is going to be tracked) this is just a non-starter. Much more logical to trace the location the call is being made from (your office).

I can genuinely say, the only reason I was able to solve this puzzle was because that was clearly the only option.

Sorry you were disappointed about not appearing in this month's article. If you can take on-board what I've said and make improvements, either to this game, or in an entirely new one, then you could see yourself in a future article.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree