You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #1

Default Cyber - Freeware game [ENG] - [ITA]

Here's a new indie freeware full-length adventure game:
http://www.cyber-thegame.com/en/home.html

Cyber is an investigative adventure game with graphic interaction and textual narration, produced by Andrea Pignataro Productions.

“October 27th 2063, Camden City, New Jersey, USA
Your name is Jason Currial.
You are a private eye...you have become a detective after 16 years on duty as a policeman...but now the K-X300 have replaced you...
Nothing interesting have happened anymore...your last cases have been only a complete loss of time...

Until today...”

So it starts a long “cyberpunk” investigation that will lead Jason Currial in an overwhelming spiral of events...behind what it seemed the simple disappearing of his best (and only) friend, he will discover dangerous secrets for the entire humanity...or at least what it remains of it...
Many characters will cross Jason's way...some of them will be glad to help him...but others will pretend something in exchange...
In Cyber you cannot die or remain stuck for a long time...but this doesn't mean that you are not going to have troubles!
The strong point of this game is the story which involves the player as few other adventure games can do.
Also, thanks to its textual feature, Cyber is an OpenText game, which means that everybody can modify the texts of the game, simply editing the text files in the game folder (for more informations see the “Translations” section or the “Info” section).
Finally, a little advice: if you want to enjoy the game atmosphere, don't try to play Cyber as fast as you can...try to enjoy calmly the story, the settings and most of all the music.

Cyber is a game created and produced by Andrea Pignataro.

Download and further info on the web site:
http://www.cyber-thegame.com/en/home.html

The game is available in English and in Italian.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

Welcome to the forums.

Do you have any screenshots you could show us?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #3

Yes...there are a few here: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/a...re/cyber/4556/
Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Freeware Co-ordinator

Nice. Did you use a tool to do your 3D modeling? It looks good.

I think this is the screenshot you need to promote to appeal to the traditional male demographic.

Cold Topic

Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #5

Yeah...someone else already told me the same
For the tool...well, it's been a real trial...let's say that I've found a "way" to use Bryce and PoserPro in Anim8or leaning to DazStudio.
Now that I've the reason to say that...: every polygon that you see rendered was modeled by me.
The same for the textures...obviously.
Oh...and the music...entirely recorded by me (I'm also a musician).
It was a big effort indeed. Totally free...so, if you like it...you can donate!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Schattenjäger

hey looks cool, il give it a try later

edit: iv played for a couple hours now, and i like it! The english translation is kindv rough with alot of grammar problems and its hard to follow whats going on sometimes, but iv been able to progress well enough. I like the atmosphere and music and the sense of constantly travelling to different places. I just got passed...
Spoiler:
the lock puzzle after being thrown into the cell in the subway. That and the puzzle for finding how many meters are in cyberspace were both pretty tough

Will definitely have to play more of this later

Last edited by zane; 02-18-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #7

I thought that Cyber was in the Freeware February release...what happened?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
Freeware Co-ordinator

My apologies. I meant to come back to this thread and give you some feedback.

Having settled into the role of Freeware Co-ordinator, I now play a lot of games each month for the article and not everything makes it in. Having played a good chunk of Cyber, there were a few things that put me off including it.

As already mentioned, the translation is a bit rough. I appreciate that you're not a native English speaker but, by making appeals on forums like this one, it's relatively easy to recruit English speakers to proofread your text. Whilst some players will be willing to work through this, a lot will be put off. By the way, having read the Translations section, I note that any modifications of the text files have to be passed by you for approval. Requiring approval by the original game author doesn't sound very much like an "Open" arrangement. This also raises the question of how you would go about approving text files in a language you don't know.

The controls didn't operate in a consistent manner when it came to conversations. Normally you would click on an item to get it to appear in the action window. To interact you'd then click in the action window. To continue conversations you had to click on the character in the main window instead. This raises the question of the need for the action window at all. Why do I have to click my computer twice (effectively) to check e-mails?

But the thing that really put me off were that chunks of the story and puzzles didn't make sense.

The most glaring example from a story point of view is the K-X3000's themselves. They are stated from the outset as having made policemen and detectives obsolete. This presumably means that they are much better at cracking down on crime than either. This being the case, how can the player character, who is on the fringes of criminal society at worst, obtain a device that COMPLETELY INCAPACITATES THEM? He doesn't even find this difficult or expensive to do. Surely real criminals would be mass-producing such devices and laughing at the authorities that put their trust in such easily disabled machines.

As for puzzles that don't make sense, the one to remove the attendant is a good example.

Spoiler:
You check his name badge and then phone up the number in an e-mail and say that name. Firstly, the e-mail reads like a standard scam spam e-mail, hardly something a detective would rely on. Secondly, are you saying that there is some law in this world that prevents more than one person having a particular name? If not, the whole premise of locating someone by name is fatally flawed. Thirdly, even if names are unique, how does a private company locate a named person? The guy could be at work, at home, in a bar, in another country, etc, etc. Unless private companies can track the movement of every citizen (in which case the main character's breaking and entering is going to be tracked) this is just a non-starter. Much more logical to trace the location the call is being made from (your office).

I can genuinely say, the only reason I was able to solve this puzzle was because that was clearly the only option.

Sorry you were disappointed about not appearing in this month's article. If you can take on-board what I've said and make improvements, either to this game, or in an entirely new one, then you could see yourself in a future article.

Cold Topic

Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #9

I think that some people (like you) completely misunderstood Cyber...for this reason I suggest you to read the Indiegames blog review...
The games in february release make me puke...and Cyber is not making it? ...C'mon....be serious...look at Crazy hangover...or Submerged...
At least Cyber has 3d...
And if you read more carefully you'll understand why I've to approve any translation...the size of the text boxes...you know...
Btw...I feel just hate from your words...you're just trolling on the game...
I'm really happy that the 99% of the net doesn't think the same way...and in my country I've reached the publishing of an article on a newspaper...: http://www.primapaginabat.it/pdf/05-03-2011.pdf (page 14)

Anyway...I think that's enough...I won't spend anymore words on this site...
Old 03-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
Freeware Co-ordinator

I'm sorry you feel that way, though I can't help noticing the Indigames blog article mentions the same problems I do.

Cold Topic