View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Balderduck
man of low moral fiber

Default If only the gaming industry listened to me...

This is the thread where we could discuss and throw around ideas that would make gaming more enjoyable for us.

I'll give you an example and wait to see what your ideas are

(I thought of that when playing DA2)
What if in an RPG instead of fighting waves upon waves of pretty much identical enemies by continuously pushing buttons at random - which gives you pretty much zero satisfaction (at least to me) you had a lot less battles, but those battles actually mattered. You'd actualy have to think of your strategy, exploit your enemy's weaknesses and plan your team's moves.

I'm thinking of going back to the days of baldur's gate or even taking it further to the kind of system featured in the sublime "Valkyria Chronicles" where there's turn based battle but when it's your turn you actually move the player in the battlefield in 3rd person view and chose very carefuly every move (that's really the closest to actual pen and paper RPGs)

Then winning would actually matter

I know you'll say thinking doesn't sell as much as button mashing, but the gratification of winning after hard mental work seems to have worked very well for chess throughout the years...