View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #229
Hoipolloi

I think SoccerDude also made some interesting points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
1- The nature of the gameplay and the popularity of the consoles: Not only AG's are not that popular anymore, PC games in general are not that popular...
2- "Mainstreaming" and the nature of gameplay: ... When you play a game, you usually want to get away from a cerebral challange...
3- Lack of licencing... people ... are much more likely to buy Harry potter "The adventure" than "Syberia"... what kind of name is "Grim Fandango" for a video game? It has "niche" written all over it...
That reminds me that Van Gogh allegedly never sold a painting during his lifetime (okay, he sold one). Lovecraft, Poe and Oscar Wilde died in poverty. Moving pictures (but a little less moving): who doesn't know that Star Trek (the TV series) and Blade Runner were initial failures... the list could go on. The Matrix could just as easily have dropped through the cracks. You can become immortal for being the odd one out, but don't expect immediate monetary rewards. (Maybe we could have skipped the whole Second World War if Hitler had become a successful painter.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Lack of true originality, creativity, and innvoation in these days of EA and Hollywood-ization is common in every game genre. But in some genres, like strategy games and adventures, it's much more so...
Really? The tired old argument that the adventure game has deserved its downfall, because it just hasn't evolved and changed enough. It's a classic case of blaming the victim. What have books done wrong to have become so unpopular? I'm always for innovation and crossing boundaries, but:

.. some things just get you nowhere faster.

I can't say I appreciate the adventure community (well, some) being so tight-fisted about what constitutes a real adventure, like in: "When they can't fit in in anywhere else, they call it an adventure". There's the stigma of commercial failure on one hand, and the pressure from old hardcore adventure gamers not to "lower the standards" in any way. BEEP that nonsense.

Last edited by Hoipolloi; 12-31-2010 at 12:00 AM.