You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What happened with the adventure game? And why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #221

I admit I didn't read every single page, but I did read a lot and I did not see this listed as a reason.

The people who play the games.

When adventure games were king, the players were a bunch of geeks who liked puzzles. The mainstream had not gotten computers yet. Once they got computers, the money stream was not going into adventures because those people would rather have a different sort of game.

FPS games did make a difference, but had the user base remained static, adventure games would never have died the way they did. The developers simply give the public what will bring in the dough.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:42 AM   #222

they sacrificed graphics for gameplay...ruined AG as we know it...what a sad time it is...also one of the best adventure game inventors of all time sold out to their star wars franchise and lost millions of fans.

Money is its own downfall
Old 08-22-2006, 03:04 AM   #223
Bogart incarnate

Send a message via ICQ to HeinzHarald

Sad time? Not if you ask me. A ton of interesting adventures games have been released, and are about to be released. And we've seen the resurrection of several franchises. Also it seems to me as if more and more non adventure games are starting to incorporate environmental puzzles. Heck the puzzles are even getting the games better reviews.

Evolution in adventure games still seems slow to me, and it would've been nice with more AAA titles. But as an adventure gamer these are very interesting times in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #224

This thread is still worth philosophically digesting, although After a brisnap nailed it on page 1/post 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG View Post
So, as Intrepid magniloquently put , what happened?...AG stories today are DULL. Writing is bad, the stories are flat and the worlds are boring. I'd very much rather visit the european city overrun by a fascist alien rule, or a fantastical dystopian 'other world' with my slapstick sidekick Daxter.
Deserves rememberance for its colorful imagery.

No, EvoG, they haven't become more boring. It's just that adventures used to be, long ago , the hottest new kid on the block. It was the first graphic kind of game that could be run on computers (an image speaks louder than a thousand typos). As computers became more powerful, the gaming experience grew out of the static, gamer-driven environment.

I'm old enough that my first game was an adventure, but I don't think that's necessarily true anymore, despite a parents' best intentions. Maybe someone who loves adventures at an early age will appreciate them later, but they'll never regain the status they had when they were cutting edge. No use crying over that.

As to what it takes to make adventures cool again with the mainstream, I think it's a change of attitude. It's no enigma why adventures are now mainly produced in declining, powerless old Europe. Using your brains appears to have become a stigma in the US, at least if you believe some media analysts. Not that using your twitchy fingers doesn't give you a false sense of power elsewhere.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:00 AM   #225

exactly, mainstream "console" games are so watered down and easy going that putting a game in front of someone who actually has to use their brain is now greeted with frustration rather than excitement.

my sister i know would love these games but she would much rather play doodle jump for an hour than have to bother using her brain.

and having played a few games like enslaved on my brothers ps3 i can now tell you that the challenge of that game is literally non-existent, it is literally just an animated movie that only plays unless you are tapping buttons throughout.

and its one example, but its a sign of where the mainstream game market is going. there is no challenge left, and therefore the is no real feeling of reward left either.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post
exactly, mainstream "console" games are so watered down and easy going that putting a game in front of someone who actually has to use their brain is now greeted with frustration rather than excitement.

my sister i know would love these games but she would much rather play doodle jump for an hour than have to bother using her brain.

and having played a few games like enslaved on my brothers ps3 i can now tell you that the challenge of that game is literally non-existent, it is literally just an animated movie that only plays unless you are tapping buttons throughout.

and its one example, but its a sign of where the mainstream game market is going. there is no challenge left, and therefore the is no real feeling of reward left either.
Tell me about it ... I have to persuade my sis to read the texts in Drawn. What's worse, she actually knows and understands what is displayed but simply she doesn't want to tire her brain with reading while playing a game.

Sure, playing games is meant to be fun and it's understandable that game companies try to get their product to most casual people. But still, where did the thought provoking entertainment go?! I was born in '91. Just the time when internet and video games flourished but I still love reading a good book! I can hardly find that in my generation and it's nonexistent in generations after mine...

Last edited by 7h30n; 12-30-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #227

It's quite interesting to re-read this thread five years after I first contributed to it...

Thanks for digging it up, Hoipolloi.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #228

i have to admit its only in the past five years i have really matured and become a lot harder to please.

before i loved normal brainless games and would steer clear of books like they were the plague.

but now reading is my favourite past time, and the only games i really enjoy these days are adventures, quite frankly i dont even count them as games, as the comparison does them no justice considering the pap that is released and gobbled up by millions these days.

the occasional console game like heavy rain, flower and the upcoming last guardian i know will captivate me, but they are rare.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #229

I think SoccerDude also made some interesting points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
1- The nature of the gameplay and the popularity of the consoles: Not only AG's are not that popular anymore, PC games in general are not that popular...
2- "Mainstreaming" and the nature of gameplay: ... When you play a game, you usually want to get away from a cerebral challange...
3- Lack of licencing... people ... are much more likely to buy Harry potter "The adventure" than "Syberia"... what kind of name is "Grim Fandango" for a video game? It has "niche" written all over it...
That reminds me that Van Gogh allegedly never sold a painting during his lifetime (okay, he sold one). Lovecraft, Poe and Oscar Wilde died in poverty. Moving pictures (but a little less moving): who doesn't know that Star Trek (the TV series) and Blade Runner were initial failures... the list could go on. The Matrix could just as easily have dropped through the cracks. You can become immortal for being the odd one out, but don't expect immediate monetary rewards. (Maybe we could have skipped the whole Second World War if Hitler had become a successful painter.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Lack of true originality, creativity, and innvoation in these days of EA and Hollywood-ization is common in every game genre. But in some genres, like strategy games and adventures, it's much more so...
Really? The tired old argument that the adventure game has deserved its downfall, because it just hasn't evolved and changed enough. It's a classic case of blaming the victim. What have books done wrong to have become so unpopular? I'm always for innovation and crossing boundaries, but:

.. some things just get you nowhere faster.

I can't say I appreciate the adventure community (well, some) being so tight-fisted about what constitutes a real adventure, like in: "When they can't fit in in anywhere else, they call it an adventure". There's the stigma of commercial failure on one hand, and the pressure from old hardcore adventure gamers not to "lower the standards" in any way. BEEP that nonsense.

Last edited by Hoipolloi; 12-31-2010 at 12:00 AM.