View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #410
Lee in Limbo
It's Hard To Be Humble

I'm sure I've done a top ten list at least once before, but it's been a long time, and I can't remember which thread it was in. So I guess I'll shake the magic eight ball and see what we get this time. These are not actually in order of preference, though it might seem so if you know me at all. These are all fantastic games and I don't rank any of them better or worse than the others.

1) The Longest Journey - I think that pretty much sets the tone for this list and what I like about adventure games, and video games in general. This game redefined for me what was possible in interactive storytelling. I'm going to tack Dreamfall onto the end here, because I really do see them as part of the same piece, and am not nearly as bothered by the controversial ending as many were. Plus, I won't be taking up an extra slot with the sequel.

Ultimately, though, I have to say that there have been very few protagonists that I cared more about than April Ryan. She really got under my skin, even if she was a bit irritating and pointless to some. And honestly, that was the first time I'd ever laughed at a panty joke in a video game. Pure genius.

2) Still Life - This game set the standard against which other games of the last decade were measured in terms of mood and immersion. Very few female protagonists achieved the level of credibility that Victoria MacPherson did, and she wasn't even in every chapter of the game. I'm not including the sequel because I still haven't played it.

3) Myst - I'll just get this out of the way and say I'm including the sequels (including Uru) here, too, because really, the only one that disappointed me was End of Ages, and even it was a noble failure in my books. These games were and are hands down the finest puzzle games I've ever encountered, bar none, and I still refer to first person puzzle adventures of this stripe as Myst Clones because I have yet to play better.

4) Shivers - I'll politely include the sequel to this, though it never grabbed me as completely as the first did. They were both freaky scary for this horror-phobe, but the second story and environments just didn't quite take me all the way there, which is odd given that the second story was about a missing rock band. Nothing has ever quite hit me the way that music in the museum's planetarium did as you entered from the back stairs. Just... magic. I would cover that track live, if I could.

5) The Journeyman Project II: Buried In Time - I would include the first and third games in t

Last edited by Lee in Limbo; 11-25-2010 at 05:12 AM.