View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Idrisguitar

Default Trying again with adventure games. I kindly ask for advice :)

Basically a while ago I wanted to get into this genre of games. I missed out on its popularity when I was younger, and was really excited about really digging into adventure games. My favourite things about these games are the more focused story, the art, and mainly my most enjoyable type of gameplay mechanic (puzzle based). So I was kind of disappointed that my first attempts with the genre really did not go well. (there may be a few old topics on this forum I'm not sure)

My first game was Broken Sword, and I loved the art, the mood, the story, and the early puzzles were fun and rewarding. However further into it I found there were leaps in logic my brain wasn’t able to get to and it left me frustrated.

Another thing I found annoying was for example when I was stuck, and the game didn’t give me any indication or clue of where to look to move on. So trawling through multiple areas of the game map clicking everything and talking to everyone was the only way to proceed. And this was no fun at all. A similar problem occurred with SOMI, and is what made me give up on that one too.

I did complete Broken Sword with help from a guide (which really is something I won’t do again as it ruined the fun.) I didn’t get to the end of SOMI. A more serious storyline is probably needed to keep me interested. Also I did try Syberia, but it didn’t suck me in (seemed slow, and again had a few puzzles where literally the answer could have been in 1 of 20 possible areas. (NO FUN)

Now I’m sure a lot of these troubles has to do with me not being patient enough, and not having the right mindset and procedure to approach these games properly. The fact is, finally now, I feel I'm ready to give it another shot and I am really hoping you guys can maybe help me out with some advice.

I'm thinking I might buy the first Gabriel Knight from GOG. Now I know this is meant to be one of the hardest, but I think with some advice from you guys on my approach, and the fact that Gabriel Knight will probably (almost definitely) have a better more engaging story than both Broken Sword and SOMI, it might just keep me with it through the tough times.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the long post. I'm hoping this time I can really get into it and enjoy a few adventure games, because on paper, this should be my perfect genre.

~
Idris

EDIT: I want to just clarify, that I'm not looking for recommendations. I have a fairly complete list compiled from the first time I tried the genre. In this topic I'm mostly looking for advice on how to fare better with these games. Basically change my thought proccess so I have more patience and enjoy these games more.

I apologise if I did not communicate this properly in this original message.

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 09-28-2010 at 02:37 AM.