View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #5802
Lee in Limbo
It's Hard To Be Humble

Dear Aggie:

I've been kind of absent lately, sort of popping in and out but rarely staying long. It's probably in part because I've gotten into a few minor fights with some of the regulars over on the adventure forum. It's put sort of a bad taste in my mouth, realizing just how at odds I am with some of the folks here. Doesn't help that I tend to champion games for reasons a fair number of AGers can't agree with. *shrug* I guess I'll always be the weird old guy tilting at windmills, asking for a new medium in an industry that wants exactly the same, only more so.

In other news, my sister got me playing one of those obnoxious flash games over on Facebook. That's not the problem. the problem is, I got curious about another game, and decided to give it a try, even though none of my family or friends are involved in it. After about a week of increasingly intense play, I think I've reached the other side. I've determined that the game is a lot like playing World of Warcraft, with some pretty seductive gameplay quirks for an ostensibly free game. However, now that I can see it for what it is, I think I'm ready to back off. I'm sure my few remaining friends over there will eventually thank me.

Finally, replotting this novel into what is now a four volume set has been absolute murder. I had no idea when I started tearing it apart that I'd still be tweaking and rearranging things three weeks later. Some plot takes time to sort out, but this is a story I thought I already knew. And yet, parts get reworked on an almost daily basis. I only hope it's getting better, but part of me suspects I could go on like this for months, which is simply unacceptable.

I DID actually start writing the prologue to the (new) first volume. It just came out, so I wrote it as I went, and wound up with a surprisingly sympathetic story of a young man who goes along on a coercion job that turns into murder. When I actually decided to write bookends for these volumes, I figured I'd be writing death sequences and such, but the direction I chose was not really what I thought I'd write when I put the words 'Clarence Dodson at work late; Thugs come in and beat him to death' on paper.

Anyway, time to get some caffeine and get back to work. hope everyone is doing alright. Take care.