View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
amunptah

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
Though this is smaller work, comparing to your first documentary of the real TLC, it's of the same quality.

I'm only a bit dissapointed with the real site of the petrol station, but then again, it would be illogical to expect a petrol station on the small road in the woods, like it was depicted in the game, rather than a petrol station by the busy road.
Thanks! Yep, Barrow Hill is definitely smaller in its scope as a game: a small number of locations, short gameplay time. TLC is a monster game. Jonathan estimated at least 20-30 hours to finish it, and it nearly killed him creating it.

Matt, by comparison, distilled just a few locations into a VERY crowded stretch of woodland, and his scenes are mainly his own creations, rather than actual places. I'd love to visit that road, the motel, the campsite and the swamp, but they don't exist :-( If they do exist, Matt, please let me know!

Even what Matt has used, he has heavily modified. The petrol station is the prime example. I remember Matt saying he liked it because it was quite remote, and had a set of mysterious trees in the background. Jump to Barrow Hill: extensive petrol station/cafe/motel complex, in the middle of the woods. The real place was just the kernel of his idea.

Then the wells. St Anneka's steals features from the three different wells:
1) The surrounding location and wellhouse structure from St Keyne's.
2) The large pool of water from St Cuby's.
3) The paganism from St Nonna's.
Mix em all up and you get St Anneka's, and the cool vibe from all three wells.