You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #1

Default The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video

Hi all,
Continuing my series of Lost Crown/Barrow Hill related features, I am pleased to present a video of the locations that inspired Barrow Hill.
You can see the video by looking for The Investigative Author podcast on iTunes, or by heading to http://www.tomrbaynham.com/2010/09/01/video-episode-2-the-real-barrow-hill/
Please leave a comment here or on my blog if you enjoyed the video.
Cheers!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #2

Hey, thanks for the update! Though this is smaller work, comparing to your first documentary of the real TLC, it's of the same quality. You've even added another fine touch of humor and brightness with Rusty and friend.

I'm not as big fan of BH as I am of TLC, but the both games are IMO consistent in the terms of conveying the real locations, and even more, their spirit and essence, to the digital world. I'm only a bit dissapointed with the real site of the petrol station, but then again, it would be illogical to expect a petrol station on the small road in the woods, like it was depicted in the game, rather than a petrol station by the busy road.

BTW, I really like your blog. Keep up the good work.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
Though this is smaller work, comparing to your first documentary of the real TLC, it's of the same quality.

I'm only a bit dissapointed with the real site of the petrol station, but then again, it would be illogical to expect a petrol station on the small road in the woods, like it was depicted in the game, rather than a petrol station by the busy road.
Thanks! Yep, Barrow Hill is definitely smaller in its scope as a game: a small number of locations, short gameplay time. TLC is a monster game. Jonathan estimated at least 20-30 hours to finish it, and it nearly killed him creating it.

Matt, by comparison, distilled just a few locations into a VERY crowded stretch of woodland, and his scenes are mainly his own creations, rather than actual places. I'd love to visit that road, the motel, the campsite and the swamp, but they don't exist :-( If they do exist, Matt, please let me know!

Even what Matt has used, he has heavily modified. The petrol station is the prime example. I remember Matt saying he liked it because it was quite remote, and had a set of mysterious trees in the background. Jump to Barrow Hill: extensive petrol station/cafe/motel complex, in the middle of the woods. The real place was just the kernel of his idea.

Then the wells. St Anneka's steals features from the three different wells:
1) The surrounding location and wellhouse structure from St Keyne's.
2) The large pool of water from St Cuby's.
3) The paganism from St Nonna's.
Mix em all up and you get St Anneka's, and the cool vibe from all three wells.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #4

BTW, for anyone who is interested, I am planning a mini-bus tour of the locations featured in the two games. PM me if you want to put your name down for more information about this.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #5

awesome thanks amun. i already loved your lost crown feature, as seen by my comments on your youtube vids

if i was in england i'd definately go on the tour, but from germany and work and all .. UGH!

i WAS inspired by your videos though and did my own sort of john boakes style video about mysterious places/woods in and around my town.

Last edited by tastebud; 09-04-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #6

Thanks tastebud. You never know - I can keep you on the list and let you know when I have firmer details?
Where can I see your vid?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #7

I've looked at minibus prices. A 16 seater tour would cost around £15 per person, which is very good value for a full day of sightseeing! Let me know if you would like to receive more information.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amunptah View Post
I am planning a mini-bus tour of the locations featured in the two games.
Ohh... I am so intrigued. I have the same problem as tastebud though. I really have no idea when I'll be able to get some free time.

I take the chance to thank you for the pictures and videos you posted!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane View Post
Ohh... I am so intrigued. I have the same problem as tastebud though. I really have no idea when I'll be able to get some free time.
The tour would likely happen in April/May time (about the same time as Nigel visted Saxton!), so do keep it in mind and see if you can make the trip.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #10

Here is the current itinerary for the tour:

1) Meet at Harbour Master's car park 7.45
2) Gruels/Martello Tower (Looe) 7.45
3) Hannafore Beach/Pinnacles8.20
4) Sandplace/Sedgemarsh Station 8.50
5) St Cuby's Well 9.05
6) Duloe/Northfield Church 9.20
7) Stone Circle/The Bear 10.10
8) Stock's Lane/Raven Lane 10.35
9) Old Barn/Causeland Station 10.55
10) St Keyne's Well 11.15
11) Hurlers/C-Ring 12.00
12) St Nonna's Well 1.20
13) Service Station 1.40
14) Talland/Ulcombe Church 1.50
17) Coast Path 2.50
18) Lighthouse 3.10
19) Polperro/Saxton (Several locations here!) 3.30
20) Meet at House on the Props 4.45
21) Minibus returns to looe 5.45 (Those who want to stay in Polperro take bus/taxi to Looe)

There are a couple of places we won't have time to visit, namely:
The Looe Museum/Gruel's Shop interior - The opening times would mean we would have to return to Looe in the middle of the day, a big chunk of time lost)

Ager/Karswell House - It is in Devon, and is just a little too far for us to fit it in to one day

Bob's Workshop interior - Firstly, I don't know exactly where it is, and the distance to lanhydrock is too much to pack into a day trip

Polruan block house - TLC2 - Again, just a little too far for inclusion on the day.

All of these places can comfortably be visited from Looe (under an hour's journey) so I would recommend tour peeps make their own way to these locations.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
Stalker of Britain

Man, I want to go so bad. If my fiance didn't mind, I'd want to spend a whole week in a Polperro bed and breakfast, and just see all these sites.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 AM   #12

Hopefully you can make it there for two or three days and get to see all the cool locations.