View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #192
kuze
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
Plus, as D.C. mentioned, the narrative it's telling is completely pointless. The entire Alan Wake story is based around the Stephen King quote that opens the game: "Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there is little fun to be had in explanations." Yet that's exactly what this DLC is: it exists to shed some light on the somewhat vague ending of the game, which completely goes against everything it and the rest of the game seemed to stand for.
So what did the DLC reveal to you that you didn't already know? In my opinion The Signal didn't progress the story at all - we now know what Alan is struggling with, but that's not a big surprise. Well, maybe just that
Spoiler:
Alan is fighting with himself now instead of the dark presence.

Besides, that's how you continue a story: you shed some light on what had happened, and present the player with new questions. I personally have no complaints with how the storytelling is handled here.

But yes, I found the combat to be a little harder than usual as well, I did die a few times, but not to the point that I became frustrated. It's just that this time there is hardly anything else outside of battling the possessed - I really wish they go lighter on the fighting in the next DLC.

In any case, it's not a bad addition, but it's not as great as the main game.