View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
Intense Degree
Failed Birthday Elf

I think GG's definition of casual games is spot on here (and I also cannot be trusted on account of Plants vs Zombies!) and this is what the main thrust of my point was about, or at least what I intended!

The Wii has targeted the "casual" and "family" market almost exclusively and, generally speaking, this does not include the "hardcore" FPS/RPG crowd. Whilst many gaming websites absolutely slate the wii, pretty much everyone can see that in terms of sales, Nintendo have "won" this generation of consoles. Clearly it is this factor which have made M$ & Sony bring out their own versions and from the demo's so far they are not really targeted at "hardcore" games, opting for the wii sports/Dance around/pet animals/walk around with your new best friend Milo variety to bring in the money from a new (or different) source.

I don't say that Kinect/Move can't be used in "hardcore" games, but I don't know how successful it will be, time will tell.

I think where I may differ from some people's opinions is on this point; I accept that motion control will not be suitable for many types of gaming, including "hardcore" action games and even good old AG's, but I don't think this will necessarily stop the ascendancy of casual gaming at the expense of other types. If M$ and Sony see that they can make more money from casual games, cheaper to make and as the wii has done, then this will be their focus and suddenly the big budget action games won't look so good to them, just as happened with big budget adventure games in the 90's. If a larger number of people are interested in casual games then are currently interested in action games then this is where the money, time and effort will go. It is not enough simply to say "gamers won't like this" if the nature of "gamers" (i.e. those who buy and play games of any description) has changed re: the casual audience.

I should also say that when I refer to the death of the FPS not only is that tongue in cheek but it is death in the same way AG's "died". i.e. not that the whole genre is totally obliterated, but that it receeds into more of a niche genre when once it was king!

Obviously all this is speculation and not necessarily what I think will happen, but having seen it happen to AG's I just wonder if it could happen to the FPS.