View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
Intense Degree
Failed Birthday Elf

Default The circle of gaming life - casual games

Before I start I want to point out that this isn't supposed to be another "I hate HOGS" thread, so haters and defenders can calm down!

If anyone has been following E3 at all it's obvious that the big news at the moment is the move towards motion control in gaming. Obviously the Wii has been doing this for some time, but now Microsoft and Sony are seeking to follow suit with Kinect and Move.

I have noticed that many console gamers are feeling disgruntled that the focus of their companies is moving from "hardcore" gamers towards the casual games market. While many see it as simply business dictating to M$ and Sony that they need to get a slice of the Nintendo pie, many feel betrayed and fear that "real" or "hardcore" gamers are being abandoned in the face of casual gamers, who don't have the "commitment" etc. that they do.

This got me thinking. 20/30 years ago AG's were the big thing, but were overtaken by Action style games (oversimplification ). This lead to many people pronouncing adventures dead and companies realising that making other types of game was more profitable, and this of course was the bottom line.

In a similar vein, much gaming moved from PC's to consoles and again many people consider PC gaming dead, or at least an impoverished relation of console gaming.

So my question is this, will casual/family/Wii style gaming crush "hardcore" action gaming in the same way? Will people be proclaiming a few years hence the death of the FPS?

(Also I was in 2 minds whether to put this in general, so I will leave it up to mods to decide if this is more appropriate!)