View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

If any of you are unfamiliar with thatgamecompany's previous releases, check out this one. I say it's a adventure game in the most pure essence of the term, even if this site disagrees with me.

Flower gameplay footage | PS3
(put on your headphones and crank it up)

While we discussed this game in another gaming forum I moderate, this guy was talking about his emotional reaction while playing the game...

Quote:
" The first time I electrocuted my petals I had to put down the controller and step away for a couple of minutes.

Then I went and tried to get the flowers in the power lines and it happened again. I was sobbing, "I am so sorry, flowers! So SO SO SORRY!"

Seriously, I have never empathized more with any other character in a video game ever. I just really wanted my flowers to save the other flowers without getting hurt. It was so intense and so... real.

I'm crying right now because I feel so bad. "

I had K, one of my oldest nieces, play the game. She absolutely loved it. But after completing the first several chapters with the beautiful meadows and canyons and wind turbines, she tried to play the chapter with the lightning storm and the electrical towers and the ruined blackened landscape. She couldn't handle it so I had to take over.

I imagine Journey may offer a similar emotional experience to us.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien