You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Journey (from the maker of flOw and Flower)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
merely human

Default Journey (from the maker of flOw and Flower)

Preview: Journey
| Joystiq

Deveoper: thatgamecompany
Release date: TBA

Quote:
At its core, Journey can probably be best described as a platformer, with a clear objective: get to the end. However, thatgamecompany isn't simply focusing on a goal -- instead, the experience is geared towards its title. Players are dropped in a gorgeous psuedo cel-shaded desert world. The character designs evoke Wind Waker, but the mesmerizing cloth and sand physics make the world feel even more alive. Like Team Ico's games, there is an incredible sense of loneliness to the world: there's no life, no foliage to be seen. There are remnants of a world lost, with a beautiful tranquility.

The technological focus of flOw was water, while Flower was grass. Journey harnesses the power of PS3 to render sand and cloth, the two "elements" you play with. This isn't just a cosmetic effect, though. As the wind blows, you'll be able to catch and ride waves of sand. You'll be able to jump onto blowing flags, and weightlessly hover in the sky. The hands-off presentation we saw had creative director Jenova Chen carelessly jumping from flag, to flag. As in Flower, your character has a mysterious ability to transform the world -- each flag changed color to a crimson hue with each step. As each flag lit up, what looked like a destroyed ship opened up, with bits of cloth flying in the sky, forming a bridge that led players to the next area. It's simultaneously mysterious and clear: immediately, you'll know what the goal is, but you can't help but want to unravel the mysteries of this world.

Journey is simultaneously a single and multiplayer experience, with players encouraged to draw their own stories from the environment. Straying off the beaten path hides secrets, hidden areas that feature mysterious idols and glyphs; Chen refused to explain the meaning of these symbols, saying that doing so would ruin the entire point of the game -- exploration. Occasionally, players will be able to encounter others who are also on their own journeys. You could choose to ignore them (and they can do the same, as well). However, should you choose to continue to journey together, you'll be able to share a cooperative (or competitive) experience. The multiplayer option wasn't demonstrated, but we could immediately think of a few shared experiences: racing on sand waves, working together to solve puzzles, guiding a lost wanderer to the "right" path, etc. It's all up to what individual players want to do.
It's a PS3 exclusive. More pics here.

I initially post this in the Adventure section because it looks to feel more like an adventure game, though according to the report it will involve some platforming. If a mod deems it not worthy of being in this section please move it to General Games.

There look to be puzzles, cooperative problem solving and exploration with other online adventurers, and treasure hunting.

And I still hadn't finished playing Flower.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 06-17-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #2

If this game fails I am leaving AG forums
Old 06-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
merely human

A bit more information on the game's concept...

Introducing thatgamecompany’s Journey | Playstation.blog

Quote:
The inspiration for Journey came from Jenova Chen’s feeling that in the modern world where man has so much power, we have lost an integral aspect of the human experience – awe towards the unknown. And we can see this in our video games as well. But don’t take it from me! Here’s Jenova to talk about it more:

Quote:
In today’s society, man is powerful – We can travel at 60 mph; we can fly; we can connect with just about anyone, anywhere, at anytime. But on the street, people pass by each other ignoring the wonderful existence of other beings. We are overwhelmed by the attention needed to gain and execute our own power – just like we are in most video games. While we are doing that, we can become isolated and insecure deep inside our mind.

On the contrary, when we are hiking in the wild, we become tiny and weak again. These feelings make every other person we encounter much more important and enjoyable. We greet them, giving them genuine and useful help. We might travel together for a period, learn from and rely on each other. Struggling against the dangerous nature together, somehow, makes us warm and powerful inside. (This doesn’t make any rational sense, but somehow that’s how I feel. And I’m sure many of us do.) While most video games offer the sense of empowerment in the online gaming experience, we felt the player will pay more attention to the other players if they are less distracted by the power, and the online gaming experience will be quite unique if it carries the feeling of awe towards the unknown.

In a world where the majority of the players are distracted by technology, evoking a sense of awe and mystery could be very refreshing and powerful.

To realize these goals, we aimed to create a world that feels vast and somewhat unfamiliar. And so the game begins with a character waking up in a desert, with no clues as to what might have happened before or what will happen later. There’s only a tall mountain in the distance, beckoning the player to set out and explore....
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #4

Yeah I saw this pop up at e3. Sounds very promising, but I'd prefer to see some actual video myself . It's frustrating when journalists have to describe it to us, especially with something as unique as this.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 06-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #5

Looks pretty. Unfortunatly its only on PS3 so...
Old 06-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #6

Pretty graphics , the description reminds me of the zen like Shadow of the Colossus.

The makers of SOTC has a new title that looks really fantastic with a bit of adventure elements.
The last guardian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzHoMT5eRg

Last edited by marshal99; 06-18-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
Pretty graphics , the description reminds me of the zen like Shadow of the Colossus.

The makers of SOTC has a new title that looks really fantastic with a bit of adventure elements.
The last guardian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzHoMT5eRg
Mmm, shame there wasn't more details on Last Guardian at this years e3

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 06-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
merely human

If any of you are unfamiliar with thatgamecompany's previous releases, check out this one. I say it's a adventure game in the most pure essence of the term, even if this site disagrees with me.

Flower gameplay footage | PS3
(put on your headphones and crank it up)

While we discussed this game in another gaming forum I moderate, this guy was talking about his emotional reaction while playing the game...

Quote:
" The first time I electrocuted my petals I had to put down the controller and step away for a couple of minutes.

Then I went and tried to get the flowers in the power lines and it happened again. I was sobbing, "I am so sorry, flowers! So SO SO SORRY!"

Seriously, I have never empathized more with any other character in a video game ever. I just really wanted my flowers to save the other flowers without getting hurt. It was so intense and so... real.

I'm crying right now because I feel so bad. "

I had K, one of my oldest nieces, play the game. She absolutely loved it. But after completing the first several chapters with the beautiful meadows and canyons and wind turbines, she tried to play the chapter with the lightning storm and the electrical towers and the ruined blackened landscape. She couldn't handle it so I had to take over.

I imagine Journey may offer a similar emotional experience to us.