View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
imisssunwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
StarForce does not install with the game. It installs on first run. If you are going to do it, it needs to be replaced after installing the game, but before running it the first time. If the StarForce driver gets installed, you need to use the removal tool or manually uninstall it.
Correct, if noCD is applied before playing no removal tool is needed. Still, the noCD may need some "background" check, some have spyware. Still some noCDs are credible enough for companies to include them in their official patches sometimes

Quote:
I generally check about the copy protection before I buy or install a game and avoid the StarForce games. I don't need what amounts to a rootkit installed on my system.
DRM can get terrible, I had an old laptop sent for repair due to DRM in '04-'05. I used to do DRM checks as well, till I discovered the XboX/Steam bliss. Some Steam games do have additional DRM but Steam mentions it, so I just don't buy these.

I miss the old days when "DRM" was to type a couple of words from the game manual.