You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Seriously need a BIG help (Dreamfall Windows 7 issue)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
kiss me Lewton

Send a message via MSN to carlotta von uberwald
Default Seriously need a BIG help (Dreamfall Windows 7 issue)

Hi Guys: I just installed Dreamfall the longest journey on windows 7 (the bain of my life) and after I clicked the desktop icon I got the protection system splash it said you need admin to run this program. I highlighted run as admin and then clicked yes I then got a red pop-up from Kaspersky saying suspicious driver installation this contains legal software that can be used by criminals to attack your computer. it's a legitimate disc so i clicked allow then the really annoying windows only accepts signed drivers splash then my system had a major crash after reboot my kaspersky anti-virus blacklist corrupted fix it now I tried but it failed everytime. So I recovered it to a previous state, how do I solve this problem I had the same thing happen after installing Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island too.

The sacred lace of Hyperopia the goddess of shoes, the holy trolley of Mr. Safeway, the blessed chamber pot of the whinging martyrs of constipata. Anything could become a sacred relic if you weren't careful enough.

I never misenthropated anything!

Malaclypse is a nut!!!

Keep The Adventure Alive!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #2

It's Starforce, Dreamfall's copy protection, that's why I detest invasive DRM.

Usually you can remove the game DRM after the installation by using a noCD, but the malware Starforce drivers will still remain in your system, which you can later uninstall through the removal tool that's somewhere on the net.

If you don't want this malware in your system I can think of two solutions atm

1) Steam (simplest)
2) Get the 6-CD (not the DVD one!) version of Dreamfall without DRM. You need to do a little research on that, can't recall which publisher did the non-Starforce release (not all CD versions are starforce-free).

According to http://store.steampowered.com/app/6300/, the stem version doesn't contain starforce.

I know it feels shit to pay again for a game you already own but probably the simplest thing to do is buy it off Steam.

A non-mainstream solution is if you have a Mac OS X, or a Linux computer somewhere, install the game with its malware on WINE, then use a noCD. This way no *real* drivers have been installed on your system and Dreamfall apparently runs smoothly through WINE/CrossOver Games. However this is a dreadful way to spend your time imo.

Off-topic: I never buy heavily DRMed products, I either buy the Steam version after I check that it is DRM-free or totally boycott them. People who put malware on their DVDs are not worth any of my money.

Edit: I just saw the "uk" bit in your profile. UK publishers have, unfortunately, starforce on all dreamfall versions that I am aware of and I own two retail PC versions of Dreamfall, both bought in England. -Only game that made me break my DRM boycott, was too good to skip! -

Last edited by imisssunwell; 06-03-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #3

If memory serves, I believe that it was the European release that had the StarForce and the US release did not. There are issues with earlier versions of StarForce on Vista/Win7. Usually the only way around it is to find a patched exe. Just don't ask where to find it here. I do agree that StarForce is malware. There are other, safer DRM strategies.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
If memory serves, I believe that it was the European release that had the StarForce and the US release did not.
Again, my memory may not serve me well on this, it's been 4 years since I bought & played Dreamfall, but iirc, some american CD releases don't have Starforce. I think all DVD releases have starforce.

Quote:
There are issues with earlier versions of StarForce on Vista/Win7. Usually the only way around it is to find a patched exe.
Using a noCD (patching the exe) doesn't not remove Starforce drivers from the computer, which is likely to remain unstable. It only removes in game DRM checks.

Starforce team had released an uninstaller which however still doesn't remove everything and there are some unofficial guides on how to clean up the remainings.

To play the game without DRM checks and starforce in the system the process is,

Install->patch game to remove DRM checks->run starforce uninstaller-> clean up the remainings -> Done.

The problem with noCDs is that they may contain malware themselves, or even the websites that host them may exploit browser vulnerabilities or add spyware. That's why I suggested Steam as the way to go.

Quote:
do agree that StarForce is malware. There are other, safer DRM strategies.
Starforce was the worst, by far. Made me switch to steam and forget about retail.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #5

StarForce does not install with the game. It installs on first run. If you are going to do it, it needs to be replaced after installing the game, but before running it the first time. If the StarForce driver gets installed, you need to use the removal tool or manually uninstall it.

I generally check about the copy protection before I buy or install a game and avoid the StarForce games. I don't need what amounts to a rootkit installed on my system.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
StarForce does not install with the game. It installs on first run. If you are going to do it, it needs to be replaced after installing the game, but before running it the first time. If the StarForce driver gets installed, you need to use the removal tool or manually uninstall it.
Correct, if noCD is applied before playing no removal tool is needed. Still, the noCD may need some "background" check, some have spyware. Still some noCDs are credible enough for companies to include them in their official patches sometimes

Quote:
I generally check about the copy protection before I buy or install a game and avoid the StarForce games. I don't need what amounts to a rootkit installed on my system.
DRM can get terrible, I had an old laptop sent for repair due to DRM in '04-'05. I used to do DRM checks as well, till I discovered the XboX/Steam bliss. Some Steam games do have additional DRM but Steam mentions it, so I just don't buy these.

I miss the old days when "DRM" was to type a couple of words from the game manual.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisssunwell View Post
I miss the old days when "DRM" was to type a couple of words from the game manual.
Or was integrated into the game as a puzzle.