View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Default Mass Effect movie in the pipeline

EA sells rights to Mass Effect film
| bit-tech

Quote:
Legendary Pictures has bought the rights to a Mass Effect film from Electronic Arts in a deal which sees key staff from BioWare signing up as executive producers for the project.

BioWare founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk will be involved in the project, along with Mass Effect game director Casey Hudson, all as Executive Producers. The film will be produced by Avi Arad, Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni.

Arad described the story behind the game and film as "a parable whose conflicts mirror the ones we currently face in our own world. This story emphasises the need for all cultures to learn to work together."

Legendary is currently involved in a seven year co-production deal with Warner Bros. and is working on a WarCraft film with Evil Dead creator Sam Raimi too.

The Mass Effect games are set far in the future and tell the story of a Human commander who leads a mixed race team in an effort to save the galaxy from a race of machines called Reapers.
Well, I figured if we're never gonna get a Gabriel Knight movie, this one looks to be an even sweeter deal.

I'm just relieved that Uwe "I-make-lousy-ass-movies-with-taxpayer-money" Boll didn't get his fugly hands on this baby. Whew! Let's hope it doesn't tank like all the other game-to-movie disasters (though I still have yet to see Prince of Persia).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien