You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Mass Effect movie in the pipeline

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
merely human

Default Mass Effect movie in the pipeline

EA sells rights to Mass Effect film
| bit-tech

Quote:
Legendary Pictures has bought the rights to a Mass Effect film from Electronic Arts in a deal which sees key staff from BioWare signing up as executive producers for the project.

BioWare founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk will be involved in the project, along with Mass Effect game director Casey Hudson, all as Executive Producers. The film will be produced by Avi Arad, Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni.

Arad described the story behind the game and film as "a parable whose conflicts mirror the ones we currently face in our own world. This story emphasises the need for all cultures to learn to work together."

Legendary is currently involved in a seven year co-production deal with Warner Bros. and is working on a WarCraft film with Evil Dead creator Sam Raimi too.

The Mass Effect games are set far in the future and tell the story of a Human commander who leads a mixed race team in an effort to save the galaxy from a race of machines called Reapers.
Well, I figured if we're never gonna get a Gabriel Knight movie, this one looks to be an even sweeter deal.

I'm just relieved that Uwe "I-make-lousy-ass-movies-with-taxpayer-money" Boll didn't get his fugly hands on this baby. Whew! Let's hope it doesn't tank like all the other game-to-movie disasters (though I still have yet to see Prince of Persia).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I'll let my hopes fly only when I'll see the names of the director and the writer. But it could be great. Oh yes, it could be awesome, if they don't try to mimick the games and simply delve farther into the setting: there are a lot of interesting ideas in ME's codex (both the first and the second one) and it's only a matter of staying faithful to the material.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
delusions of adequacy

Could it turn out to be a 'straight to video' affair? Maybe even an animation straight to video affair (like the Dead Space movie).

If it does wind up as live action, I wonder how it'll effect 'canon-shep' who uses a male model's face. I'm not expecting big things, Mass Effect's appeal (imo) is that it lets you fan edit a rather generic sci-fi plot. A movie just takes away that fun interaction, leaving a generic sci fi story that isn't 'yours'.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
Life and times of...

I'm with mr. Crunchy on this one.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #5

somehow I doubt the movie will be about Shepard, there's no way to make it consistent with the games and the game trilogy is not yet complete so it's too early to try to retcon a 'cannon' Shepard into existence
more likely it'll focus on a parallel storyline like the books do, or be a prequel focussing on the First Contact War
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 05-26-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
...a prequel focussing on the First Contact War
This I could see. Mashing the timeline up a little so it becomes 2001 a space odyssey (find the prothean becon on mars), meets Starship Troopers (Shanxi, 314 incident). Make sure one of the characters is exposed to element zero and has a biotic bootcamp montage sequence, throw in a Firefly influenced independent cargo vessel captain and the movie's half written its self.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Life and times of...

Still, not too great expectations. It's just another sci-fi war movie. The universe is just too... "usual" for anything else if one is concentrating on these major events.

In my opinion the only way that the movie could actually be interesting is that it wouldn't focus on the major incidents (mainly wars) but have a very independent, smaller-scale storyline not trying so hard to have as many references to the games as possible. Because that would allow for something original and actually interesting instead of just the usual fight - love - big fight thing these things have.

And you know the characters are just going to be machos. Especially if there's the "biotic bootcamp" stuff that you mentioned