Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #3171
Lee in Limbo
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
1. What era of history interests you the most?
2. What scientific discovery is most amazing to you?
3. What science fiction event would you like to come true?
1. I used to be fascinated with a number of historical periods, but as I have gotten older, I find that my interests have narrowed largely to the 20th Century. That was really my century, and I'm struggling to find my place in this one.
2. The way we've learned to manipulate magnetism to store the work of a lifetime into an object I can hold in my hand.
3. Chip modded brain, so I can 'learn' to do whatever it is I'm being paid to do without the tedium of years of specializing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. What's the one thing (if anything) that you believe you were born to do?
2. When was the last time you really really had to go pee, but the situation wouldn't allow you to?
3. What colour are your socks, if you're wearing any?
1. BOOOOOOORNNNN TO BE WIIIIIIIIIIILD!!! No wait, I guess the answer to that has to be writing, novels, graphic novels, songs, video games, whatever, so long as I'm telling stories.
2. There were some rush jobs I had to do a few days ago at work, and had to get it all out of the way before I could sneak upstairs and deal with nature.
3. To be perfectly frank with you, I am wearing a pair of brown walking shorts, and not a stitch otherwise... and the shorts were sort of an afterthought when my wife woke up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
1. If money wasn't an issue, where would you go on a shopping spree?
2. What magazine(s) do you read and enjoy the most?
3. What's one important lesson you've learned so far in your life?
1) Mac store? Nah, I'd probably just order a laptop and a Cintiq tablet online. Maybe a shiny soundcard and a midi control keyboard and some music composing/editing software for recording digital music, something I've always wanted to try my hand at. And a fricking dummies manual for the software. Man, am I ever tired of buying gear I can't operate easily.
2. Architectural Digest? Heavy Metal? Penthouse? No, to tell the truth, I don't really read magazines very often, and when I do, they're usually rock music magazines, these days. Though I do own copies of the aforementioned titles as well.
3. To be honest, I'm not sure I've learned anything important yet. Everything I thought I knew is sort of in question these days, down to and including who I am and why I'm here. But I think the one maxim I've managed to largely stick by that hasn't been diminished too much over time is, Tell the Truth. Not easy, and I'm not always capable of it, but I find it makes life so much clearer if I stick to the truth. My favourite people are all scrupulously honest, and I want to be loved by these people, so it serves my own selfish purposes to be straight with them as much as possible.

Quote:
1. Tell me about a time when something you thought you wanted wound up not really being what you wanted after all.
2. In what kinds of circumstances do you find it relatively easy to make friends?
3. Why is it okay to use "guys" to refer to people of all genders, but not to use "gals" (or some other feminine equivalent) to do the same?
1. I would tell you, but it would only complicate things, and perhaps make you cry (and no, I'm not referring to you, darling).
2. On the internet? Hmmn. Well, in my twenties, I was pretty good at making friends in musical settings, but these days, I'm hit and miss with new groups of people.
3. Same reason it's common in English to refer to humanity as mankind or simply man, and I'm sure it's gender politics related, sadly. I've played with that concept a little in my fiction (you'll remember MetFall), but I don't expect it to change any time soon. Sad, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
1. When it comes to making decisions, how do you go about?
2. If you sense there are big changes in your life coming up, how do you feel/react?
3. How do you list (in terms if importance) these three aspects of a job?
  • salary
  • influence
  • atmosphere
1. Poorly.
2. I usually freak out, go quiet, and hide until the worst of it's over.

Or, you know, jump in and lead the charge. I'm bipolar.
3. Truthfully, I'm not sure how I rank those. the most important thing about any job is whether I feel competent in the role. I know that sounds trite, but it really is an extremely important part of my ability to take a job. if I don't feel I belong there, I get very upset. As you have probably been noticing lately.
Quote:
1. Have you ever been successful in negotiating a higher salary/pay? If so, how'd you do it?
2. Have you ever been successful in influencing the creative direction of a project? If so, how'd you do it?
3. Have you ever been successful in improving the atmosphere around you? If so, how'd you do it?
1. No, I don't believe I've ever received a non-mandatory raise working for anyone other than myself. the closest I came to that was when Don Ferrigan told me to ask for $25/hr, instead of my usual low-balling. That was an eye-opener. Mind you, if I ever worked for him again, I'd ask for more.
2. I'm kinda pushy when it comes to creative direction, as you well know. I sort of smother my partners in sheer creative output, unless I feel like the project has gotten away from me, in which case, I usually get depressed.
3. I left a job that was crushing my soul, and wrote perhaps the most important novel of my life to date. Then I screwed it all up by getting hired at a job I hate more than I ever did the tool shop.

1) For the last three Saturdays, around 10PM to 12AM EST, I've been improvising something I call Limbo Radio on Facebook. If I do it again next weekend, what would you like me to play?
2) What's your favourite Beatles song?
3) What musician or musical group have you dreamed of jamming with?