Thread: Darkfall I & II
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
cbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
This is what I don't like about some AG's. I'd much prefer some type of notebook or journal in-game, especially in a game that is best played late at night such as a horror or mystery.

I actually like to make real notes. It keeps me more involved with the game. You can get lazy when the game does everything for you. I'm currently playing Titanic: Adventure out of Time and I have to furiously scribble notes at every conversation because often things can't be repeated and the game makes no notes for you. And that's actually kind of cool. Developers back in the nineties really had faith in the intellect and capabilities of the people playing the games.

Also, making the notes yourself really helps lock the information in your head. You retain information so much better when you do it hands on. I can still picture the diagram i made for the Riven gates puzzle (the one that allowed you to get to the large central dome) to the point that if i replayed it today i would still be able to remember how to operate it correctly.

Writing things down also helps you understand things because you can order the information as you please. Just perusing a list of archived documents on your screen doesn't have the same effect; it doesn't help you make the neccesary mental connections. You've gotta open up all those neural pathways

Last edited by cbman; 04-15-2010 at 03:59 PM.