You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
never stops believin'

Default Darkfall I & II

I have re-arranged my schedule to make sure I have no plans on a Friday to play these two games. Kinda excited, don't know the last time I had any time to play adventure games (Ok, last week I cleared out a Sunday for Blackstone)

Anyway, any thoughts on these games....?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

I'm sure I'm biased, but I love these two games! The first one had such a wonderful atmosphere and great characters, and the second one had just as good a plot as the first, although it has more of a sci-fi twist in it. I love these two games. Both definetely are in my Top 10, unlike the 3rd one...
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #3

I really like Darkfall. Keep a notepad and pencil at hand, since almost the entire point of it is taking notes to solve puzzles, and then taking notes of things revealed by those puzzles to solve more puzzles, and then taking notes of small details you come across while going around to solve even more puzzles later or understand the diferent story threads you kind of stumble upon while exploring the creepy place. If you can play it at night, with a good headset and the lights off and with as few distractions as you can manage. A good deal of the atmosphere lives and dies on the details, and most of the scary or unerving situations are very subtle and elegant and can easily be missed if you are only half there.

And if you can go through that small segment were you journey through a dark cave with nothing but a weak lantern without suffering a nervous breakdown you are my new hero. I never replayed the game because there's no way i'm going back down there, ever.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
never stops believin'

YEah. Lots of puzzles. I'm not a big puzzle-lover, I'm a story-centric adventure gamer. I have a ton of thoughts about it so far, after playing for one whole evening I'm not very far into it. Another go tonight.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircalla View Post
I really like Darkfall. Keep a notepad and pencil at hand, since almost the entire point of it is taking notes to solve puzzles, and then taking notes of things revealed by those puzzles to solve more puzzles, and then taking notes of small details you come across while going around to solve even more puzzles later or understand the diferent story threads you kind of stumble upon while exploring the creepy place.
This is what I don't like about some AG's. I'd much prefer some type of notebook or journal in-game, especially in a game that is best played late at night such as a horror or mystery.

You're playing late at night with the lights out. Really into the game. You come across a puzzle where you have to write something down. So.... put a light on, find a pencil, sit, write it down and then put the light out. Now get back to the game. The immersion is gone IMO.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Stalker of Britain

Couldn't agree more, mgeorge. I'm always squinting at my notes, and I can't see anything in the dark.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
This is what I don't like about some AG's. I'd much prefer some type of notebook or journal in-game, especially in a game that is best played late at night such as a horror or mystery.

I actually like to make real notes. It keeps me more involved with the game. You can get lazy when the game does everything for you. I'm currently playing Titanic: Adventure out of Time and I have to furiously scribble notes at every conversation because often things can't be repeated and the game makes no notes for you. And that's actually kind of cool. Developers back in the nineties really had faith in the intellect and capabilities of the people playing the games.

Also, making the notes yourself really helps lock the information in your head. You retain information so much better when you do it hands on. I can still picture the diagram i made for the Riven gates puzzle (the one that allowed you to get to the large central dome) to the point that if i replayed it today i would still be able to remember how to operate it correctly.

Writing things down also helps you understand things because you can order the information as you please. Just perusing a list of archived documents on your screen doesn't have the same effect; it doesn't help you make the neccesary mental connections. You've gotta open up all those neural pathways

Last edited by cbman; 04-15-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
I actually like to make real notes. It keeps me more involved with the game. You can get lazy when the game does everything for you.

Writing things down also helps you understand things because you can order the information as you please. Just perusing a list of archived documents on your screen doesn't have the same effect; it doesn't help you make the neccesary mental connections. You've gotta open up all those neural pathways
Exactly - that is sort of my defenition of "interactive".

If you want to finish this game - do your part of it!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Second Degree Black Belt

I'm like Fantsy, I really enjoyed 1 and 2...... and the 2nd one does have more of a sci-fi under tone, but it was still great. The 3rd one...... I could take it or leave it....... but 1 nd 2 GREAT

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 04-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
I actually like to make real notes. It keeps me more involved with the game. You can get lazy when the game does everything for you. I'm currently playing Titanic: Adventure out of Time and I have to furiously scribble notes at every conversation because often things can't be repeated and the game makes no notes for you. And that's actually kind of cool. Developers back in the nineties really had faith in the intellect and capabilities of the people playing the games.

Also, making the notes yourself really helps lock the information in your head. You retain information so much better when you do it hands on. I can still picture the diagram i made for the Riven gates puzzle (the one that allowed you to get to the large central dome) to the point that if i replayed it today i would still be able to remember how to operate it correctly.

My thoughts exactly! Taking notes organizes my thoughts and the actual writing and drawing are fun parts of puzzle solving.
Now, give me a sturdy maze and I'm in heaven!