View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
booB
Junior Mint

A few months ago I bought an LG 47LH90 LED-backlit TV. LED TVs are a little more expensive than standard (fluorescent) LCDs, but they get much bigger contrast ratios (lighter whites and darker blacks). This one has local-dimming LEDs (which improves the contrast ratio even further) and a 240Hz refresh rate (very useful for gaming and watching Blu-Ray movies)... and it was only slightly more expensive than comparable LCD TVs from Sony and Samsung. The nearest LED TVs in price from those brands were at least $500 more, and this one got better reviews than those.

Anyway, that would be my recommendation. Also, I'd recommend staying away from Sony, as they're overpriced (but reliable, so if you have the extra dough to spend on their brand name and it makes you more comfortable). Also, I would never buy a plasma, but I suppose that's a personal choice. The technology has improved from when they used to be susceptible to screen burn-in, but they are still known to not have as long of a shelf-life as LCD TVs.