View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
outcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticadventurer View Post
I know what you mean.

For me, mood and atmosphere are crucial ingredients to a game. A game that can completely immerse me in its world is a piece of heaven to me.

The thing about humor is that while it works, it often takes you out of the game world or interrupts the mood. Of course, when used sparingly, humor is perfectly fine to break up tension. But those games that focus on being tongue-in-cheek and humorous, tend to overstay their welcome, and the humor eventually becomes more of a mood disruptor than anything else.

Take a game like Ceville, even though there is some well done, dark humor, there are many npc characters that go over the top with the light-hearted, silliness and that stuff becomes too distracting.

There is also another factor to this: Culture. The brand of humor in games like Monkey Island is of a very specific kind and the tongue-in-cheek jokes, pop-culture references, sarcasm etc. appeal best to people from a certain socio-economic American background.
Yes i agree. I very much enjoy serious games like Gabriel Knights and Broken Sword even though they have a bit of humour in them.