View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Marduk

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannik View Post
But that said, my guess would be that the adventure category in the ESA reports includes everything adventure-esque, from traditional adventure games (point & click etc.) to Zelda, Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia. Maybe even a game like Assassin's Creed fits in that category.
Personally I'd list all 3 of those games under platform. (Well, maybe not Zelda, but that particular franchise has never really held my interest). That said; "Platform" games are conspicuously missing from the ESA's findings. But there are still categories games such as those or others would easily fit. All of them could easily be classed as 'Action', Zelda can go into "Children's...", and both that and Prince of Persia can probably fit under "Family...". Assassin's Creed, if nothing else, could easily be classed as a fighting game.

While I wouldn't normally put much faith in any large organisation to avoid confusing the facts when it comes to my beloved Adventure Games, I'd hope that the ESA has been around long enough to understand various game genres or at least employs enough people well informed on the subject.

(But even if that's true I can't even begin to speculate on how knowledgeable each individual who was involved in collating the information to either create the initial surveys, conduct them or compile the resulting data).