View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Hobbit

Thank you for your replies!

Deadwolf,
That's a good idea, I should write some emails, maybe I'll get some replies! I wonder, though, what is the reason behind not wanting to release actual sales figures. For a public company (which, I think, Activision is), revealing huge sales boosts their stocks, so that reasoning is clear. But I guess, for a private company, even if title is successful, there is just no reason to release anything...Those who need to know - they know, and for the general public, a simple "sales exceeded expectations" will do Hopefully, they'll let me in on this, after all, the only other person who will read this paper is my professor!

Hol,
Thank you for the links! 5% is a great number for adventure games, although I wonder what their definition of an "adventure game" is. Is it just the point & click adventures we all love, or does this include the "action adventures" as well, which are not quite the same thing...And then there are all sorts of casual games, which some sites also categorize under adventure. But either way, it does feel like the market is slowly growing, more games are coming out, and that means that there is demand. I read somewhere that adventure market in Europe is much larger than in US.

Another great article I found analyzes the sales of adventure games, although it's based on older data from 2003:

http://www.adventuredevelopers.com/f...=37&showpage=1

Marduk,
If I discover anything meaningful, I will definitely share with you guys!