View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Lupin The Third

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I haven't played D and I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're looking for. You mean sliding from node to node? The Blackstone Chronicles does that and you can even turn it off, which leaves you with a slide-show type of movement. Another example is the Journeyman Project 3, and I think 2 as well. They're sci-fi games, not very "dark".

Two of my personal favorites are Temujin and Dark Side of the Moon, by the same developer. But you'd better read a couple of reviews first to get an idea what you're letting yourself in for. The navigation of Temujin takes some getting used to, and the amount disc-swapping in Dark Side of the Moon is really terrible, unless you can get hold of the DVD version.

That's all I can think of, but there must be many others.

PS: I forgot Black Dahlia
Thanks for the suggestions I will look into these. It's not that I'm looking specifically for games like D (which are basically FMV adventure movie/game hybrids) but I noticed that some of the first person games I've recently tried would have occasional sequences where moving from point A to point B actually included moving, not just a change of slides. I'm looking for more of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
I tried watching D but it was hard to tell what was actually gameplay and what was cutscenes. Very much like Torico.

You don't get many like D because having every movement animated in pre-rendered graphics cost serious money and time.

One game that did do this was Reah.
Agreed. D was kind of a microcosm of what was going on tech wise at the time. I'm familiar with all the console games that are similar (D2, Enemy Zero, Torico/Lunacy, Mansion of Hidden Souls, etc). I'm not expecting something like it, rather I've noticed a distinct lack of animation in first person games that are ten years or more after D...which seems a little odd. I will look into Reah. Thanks for the suggestion!