View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
UPtimist
Life and times of...

You know that it's actually the Parliament we're voting for, right?

Anyways, already voted in our advance voting (how many countries have that?). Personally I've made it my top priority to vote in the EU election, for a number of reasons. First of all, because I think the election and the EU in general is (for want of a better word) underrated. Also, since so few vote (in comparison to national elections), it's even more important in my opinion to vote, plus one's vote makes more of a difference then.

Of course I want someone in there who is as much of an expert as possible, and - most importantly - will be active. Because that's the most important thing to do there. Not so much the voting in the parliament but trying to influence things outside the votings, taking part in all kinds of groups and stuff. There are and have been people in the European parliament who just (take advantage of the whole thing and) go there to vote when they must and go out to all the free lunches. It's hard to make sure that people do that ('cause they're out there somewhere and were back here (ohh, those rhymed )), so one should make sure they aren't voting for someone who is not, well, a politician (and I mean that in a good sense, one who wants to and is used to making a difference (in politics) in stead of someone who has never been involved in anything, because the EU is quite a different thing than the national parliaments). Doesn't have to be an old-timer, but someone who will be active.

And never, never a celebrity. (There was an excellent writing in a local newspaper last week about just this. He made excellent (and very funny too ) points about just this, how the media only points them out as well as a few of the most experienced ones, when the most important thing would be to bring out the competent young candidates who tend to not get recognition otherwise)

Of course it's also important that I get someone who wants to move the EU forward, in stead of these idiots who want to make everything as difficult as possible. Which is simply idiotic. If they think there are problems in the EU, what's the point of trying to halt it where it is?

Anyways, as I sort of pointed out, being rather young I think it's important for me to try to find an (aforementioned) competent young candidate. While I think it's important that these long-timers get in too, as they are used to it and will know how the systems work and how to at least try to make a difference etc., obviously we also need young, enthusiastic experts who might first of all have a different kind of view on things and who will of course be the experienced candidates later. There are many young people running who are well-educated, have experience and politics and an enthusiasm to change things, but have a much harder time to get in than these media pets who will either do nothing once they get there, or would get in anyways.

To me exactly those things are probably the most important things to look for in a candidate. There's pretty much only one party in Finland that I like on most parts, I don't really like the party system, so I didn't have a problem choosing which party to vote from, and eventually it was a moderately easy choice choosing the person I voted for. But if I had to choose a couple "issues" that matter to me, there's obviously enviromental issues, but also (probably due to my education), legal issues such as human rights and I guess just following the rules. Of course also being EU-positive (sounds like a blood type ) and wanting to take it forward is important (I would say positive towards the constitution, but meaning that wheather the Lisbon treaty is accepted or not, wanting to take the EU towards that kind of a direction - clearer, better decision-making etc.).

Whew, not exactly as short as I had planned