You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat European Commission

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default European Commission

So, did you vote, or are you planning to vote? What do you want from the EU? And for you Americans out there: what is your opinion on the EU, or Europe? Post your thoughts here.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

My thoughts on Europe? Um...I love Britain, of course! Seriously, I think it's better off over there, and I have a weird conseption of England, even though I've never been there. I always look at it with rosey glasses or something, and I can't think of anything bad that "it's" done. I just see all the good in it, although I'm sure there's plenty of bad.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Lazy Bee

I'll be voting on Sunday but it's difficult to pick out the party or person whom I think would do the best job possible in the comission. I haven't decided yet what it will be, but I've narrowed my choices down a bit anyway. There will be lots of reading and watching TV debates tonight.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Life and times of...

You know that it's actually the Parliament we're voting for, right?

Anyways, already voted in our advance voting (how many countries have that?). Personally I've made it my top priority to vote in the EU election, for a number of reasons. First of all, because I think the election and the EU in general is (for want of a better word) underrated. Also, since so few vote (in comparison to national elections), it's even more important in my opinion to vote, plus one's vote makes more of a difference then.

Of course I want someone in there who is as much of an expert as possible, and - most importantly - will be active. Because that's the most important thing to do there. Not so much the voting in the parliament but trying to influence things outside the votings, taking part in all kinds of groups and stuff. There are and have been people in the European parliament who just (take advantage of the whole thing and) go there to vote when they must and go out to all the free lunches. It's hard to make sure that people do that ('cause they're out there somewhere and were back here (ohh, those rhymed )), so one should make sure they aren't voting for someone who is not, well, a politician (and I mean that in a good sense, one who wants to and is used to making a difference (in politics) in stead of someone who has never been involved in anything, because the EU is quite a different thing than the national parliaments). Doesn't have to be an old-timer, but someone who will be active.

And never, never a celebrity. (There was an excellent writing in a local newspaper last week about just this. He made excellent (and very funny too ) points about just this, how the media only points them out as well as a few of the most experienced ones, when the most important thing would be to bring out the competent young candidates who tend to not get recognition otherwise)

Of course it's also important that I get someone who wants to move the EU forward, in stead of these idiots who want to make everything as difficult as possible. Which is simply idiotic. If they think there are problems in the EU, what's the point of trying to halt it where it is?

Anyways, as I sort of pointed out, being rather young I think it's important for me to try to find an (aforementioned) competent young candidate. While I think it's important that these long-timers get in too, as they are used to it and will know how the systems work and how to at least try to make a difference etc., obviously we also need young, enthusiastic experts who might first of all have a different kind of view on things and who will of course be the experienced candidates later. There are many young people running who are well-educated, have experience and politics and an enthusiasm to change things, but have a much harder time to get in than these media pets who will either do nothing once they get there, or would get in anyways.

To me exactly those things are probably the most important things to look for in a candidate. There's pretty much only one party in Finland that I like on most parts, I don't really like the party system, so I didn't have a problem choosing which party to vote from, and eventually it was a moderately easy choice choosing the person I voted for. But if I had to choose a couple "issues" that matter to me, there's obviously enviromental issues, but also (probably due to my education), legal issues such as human rights and I guess just following the rules. Of course also being EU-positive (sounds like a blood type ) and wanting to take it forward is important (I would say positive towards the constitution, but meaning that wheather the Lisbon treaty is accepted or not, wanting to take the EU towards that kind of a direction - clearer, better decision-making etc.).

Whew, not exactly as short as I had planned
Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Can I point out that the European Commision is the unelected (appointed by member states) executive: the vote is for the European Parliament, the legislature.

EDIT: Darn, Uppy beat me to the pedantry prize

Last edited by SSH; 06-05-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
tsa
Playing character

Here in NL we voted yesterday. It was easy for us I think: you either vote for a party that is for, or one that is against the EU. We have a few parties that 'don't know' too, and they all lost big time. I am in favor of a strong EU that can make a fist against other superpowers like China and America. The EU still has to learn that they are a mayor factor in the world economy, and that we should be able to swiftly react to economic or military revolutions/changes in the world, instead of continue to bicker about national priorities and who does what. The first big changes I would like to see in the EC are the decision to use ONE language instead of having each member speak his/her own language, and the formation of a European army.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #7

Apparently the racist PVV won a lot of votes in Holland. Nothing changed there then. Still the same xenophobic climate that came about with the rise of Fortuyn.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSH View Post
Can I point out that the European Commision is the unelected (appointed by member states) executive: the vote is for the European Parliament, the legislature.
The EU's organizational structure is so complicated I couldn't even find it on the EU website.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
Life and times of...

Well, there's a couple of "European Elections" ads that actually hold the information (about who is being voted), but then again, it is a bit of a confusing layout on a quick glance, with so much information (I've had a course on legal information gathering, so I know these sites quite well nowadays).

And as you said, the organizational structure isn't there as an overview, although when you look at the "institutions" tab on the lowest box in the middle, you'll have the different institutions, such as the Parliament, Commission and the Council (links to their websites).

But when the websites fail, go Wikipedia
Old 06-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #10
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Apparently the racist PVV won a lot of votes in Holland. Nothing changed there then. Still the same xenophobic climate that came about with the rise of Fortuyn.
Yes, it's amazing how people can vote for a party that only points out what's wrong, and if asked what it plans to do about it or just to talk more about it refuses to answer.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Hey are us norwegians allowed to participate in this discussion
Well I am mighty anti EU but I do see a lot of its positive sides, been reading about EU integration and influence on municipality improvements and democratization (which is a great EU contribution).

Now that Iceland will betray us, it won't be good being alone with Switzerland, Liechtenstein :'(

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 06-05-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Yes, it's amazing how people can vote for a party that only points out what's wrong, and if asked what it plans to do about it or just to talk more about it refuses to answer.
I don't know which worries me more... that people would actually vote for this idiot, or that other parties will take it as a sign they need to be more populist and horrible.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
tsa
Playing character

I guess the only thing to have people learn is let this idiot come to power and ruin our reputation.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #14

Seeing this thread makes me sad I'm so disconnected from Europe.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #15
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
We have that exact situation here in Finland too. A party thats support has rocketed. Complete populism with the whole party based on one single man, but it just gets to the people.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #16
tsa
Playing character

We've had some experience with a party like that in the gouvernment. Remember Pim Fortuyn? After he was killed, many people voted for him so his party, the LPF (List Pim Fortuyn) was one of the parties that made it into the Cabinet. Thanks to many internal strubbles and fights the Cabinet destroyed itself after 86 very interesting days, during which we were the laughing stock of the whole world. After that the party itself fell apart too. I am very sure the same thing will happen when Geert Wilders' PVV (Party For Freedom) makes it into the Cabinet. Self-centered one-topic parties like his will never come far.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #17
Headbanger

I can't say that I'm pleased with Swedens' votes since the "right-alliance" got majority with a few percentage points.

The good thing is that the party with somewhat "racial" opinions didn't make it over 4%, but it was way to close (I believe they got 3,6 or something like that). Many people think that the only reason they didn't make it is because of the "pirate party" which probably took many of their votes. This is a party whose only main agenda is to protect peoples privacy on the Internet.