View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
Ascovel
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwelve View Post
The best way to find people to help you in the indie/amateur/hobbyist space is to make something small first. If you can make a small one-room game on your own that shows promise in the areas of game design and storytelling, even if it shows a complete lack of talent in art and coding, it will be a big motivator to help get people on board.

As an added bonus, working on a project like this can only help make your next project (that dream game of yours) better, because even developing a small game (like the above screen-shotted Anna) teaches you a lot about game, puzzle, and story design. I look back at all the things that I did wrong in that game, and can easily see how I improved in my second, much larger game, Linus Bruckman.

I made both of those games on my own, over relatively short periods of time (a week for Anna, eight months for Linus) despite having no honed artistic talent, and have now managed to assemble a real all-star team for the development of my dream game, which has been under development for about two years now.

So start small, and build to your big project. It helps you gain ability, learn some lessons that you can only learn by trying and failing, and helps you attract potential team members to help you make something great.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing recently, but I've skipped the one week project and went straight to the eight months one. Well, maybe more like five months - we shall see.

I'd have to say though that not everyone who can write a good story will make a good project leader, or have the necessary skills to see even a basic one-man game project to competition. Maybe for such person it would be better to first seek publications of his short stories in magazines dedicated to the fiction genre of his choice and then use them as an argument to convince someone to adapt a story of his to a game.