View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Luna Sevithiainen
Pixiehunter

Default Gabriel Knight - Beast Within problems

So after months of setting my pc up so I could play GK2 under windows 98 because I somehow got it in my mind that older games run better under older OS's, I finally installed GK2 today...
...and immediately ran into bugs that render the game unplayable

When I use the Windows version, I can't load or save from within the game, because as soon as I click either the load or save button, it gives an error message like the one in the screenhot below and the game crashes. ( I can restore one game when starting though...and I managed to save one game, but now I cna't seem to do that anymore without crashing the game)

No problem, I thought, then I just use the DOS version, because yay for older OS's or something...(what is the difference between the DOS and Windows version anyway?) Well...the good news is that the load/save bug seems to have disappeared...
... The bad news is that as soon as I have clicked on the newspaper when in close up to read it, all the sound vanishes and stays gone until I restart the game...

So in short both the windows and dos version are...useless now...and I wanted to play that game so badly

Does anyone know of any way to fix any of these bugs? Maybe there is some patch or anything I have missed? I haven't tried it on XP yet, mostly because I don't want to play it in a small screen because XP doesn't support 640X480 resolution (so if anyone knwos a way to play Beast Within in full screen, I am happy to, given that the bugs are not there in XP...)
Attached Images