You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Gabriel Knight - Beast Within problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Pixiehunter

Default Gabriel Knight - Beast Within problems

So after months of setting my pc up so I could play GK2 under windows 98 because I somehow got it in my mind that older games run better under older OS's, I finally installed GK2 today...
...and immediately ran into bugs that render the game unplayable

When I use the Windows version, I can't load or save from within the game, because as soon as I click either the load or save button, it gives an error message like the one in the screenhot below and the game crashes. ( I can restore one game when starting though...and I managed to save one game, but now I cna't seem to do that anymore without crashing the game)

No problem, I thought, then I just use the DOS version, because yay for older OS's or something...(what is the difference between the DOS and Windows version anyway?) Well...the good news is that the load/save bug seems to have disappeared...
... The bad news is that as soon as I have clicked on the newspaper when in close up to read it, all the sound vanishes and stays gone until I restart the game...

So in short both the windows and dos version are...useless now...and I wanted to play that game so badly

Does anyone know of any way to fix any of these bugs? Maybe there is some patch or anything I have missed? I haven't tried it on XP yet, mostly because I don't want to play it in a small screen because XP doesn't support 640X480 resolution (so if anyone knwos a way to play Beast Within in full screen, I am happy to, given that the bugs are not there in XP...)
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Pixiehunter

... I have been too early in posting this thread because...the solution was right under my nose...Endroz's GK2 installer
I at first didn't want to try that because I didn't quite like having to play GK1 in a small window when running it under XP, and most because I was afraid the bugs would still be there...
...but the bugs I mentioned are gone! Endroz, I worship you, I owe you my sanity

So...a bit sorry for opening the thread unnecessary, but if anyone ever encounters the same problems: Endroz's GK2 installer works like a charm!

Last edited by Luna Sevithiainen; 04-19-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #3

Hmmm... I used those installers to play both games, but it was always in fullscreen. Poke around in settings or something and I'm sure you'll find a way to make it not run in a window.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Pixiehunter

I guess I was so happy I forgot to mention that GK2 actually did run in fullscreen immediately because the installer gave that option immediately at installation
Will try to get GK1 working in fullscreen (or under 98 ) next time I play it.
It does leave me wondering though if there are any ways to fix the bugs I mentioned without having to run it on win XP, so when just running it under windows 98. Not that I need those solutions now, but I am always curious