View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
shezcrafti
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post
First of all I'd say write out the plot and story. Then do a short bio for all the main characters and work out a rough conversation tree for all interactions etc. Then personally I find it good to write out the whole gameplay as if it was a walk through.

Care to share your idea with us? Obviously not spoiling it just a brief explanation?
Hey, thanks for the reply. That was fast!

What prompted me to start this thread was another thread where people complained about the same old tried & true plot devices/generic storylines (detective, murder mystery, ghost hunting, insane asylum, etc.) that adventure games seem to keep re-purposing over and over again. And when I read things like that I can't help but agree, and then this idea of mine resurfaces and starts nagging!

I'm hesitant to share my idea because I believe it's so unique, I wouldn't want to risk putting it out there without some way to protect it. (Of course, it could be total crap to someone else, but I at least believe in it enough to feel protective of it!)

I agree that writing it out is a good plan--but my question is more along the lines of:

"But then what?"

Even if I were to write it all out, describe in detail the scenery, the characters, the puzzles (which would be largely inventory-based), the dialogue...then what? I'm just a writer with good ideas and no way to bring them to life.

How do writers connect with someone willing to develop? Is it typical for adventure games to be conceived of in this way?