View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #13
Lee in Limbo
It's Hard To Be Humble

Oh yeah, and...

Fantasysci5:
Worrying about? Whether to go on my dream to England, or stay with my boyfriend so there's no chance we'll split up. Any advice?

Go to England. If he loves you, he'll wait. If not, you'll find someone better who'll probably have one of those great English accents, too (I also hear that their dental care is getting better, so they don't all have bad teeth). Meanwhile, you get to be a more urbane citizen of the world, which is the perfect cure for being in an insecure relationship. And I seem to remember seeing a picture of you somewhere. You won't be lonely for long.

Just remember: True Love is unconditional. Everything else is compromise, and you have to decide which compromises are acceptable to you and which are hurting you. Try putting yourself first for a little while. If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will respect you enough to give you what you need. You don't have to become a selfish jerk; sometimes you have to make your needs your biggest priority. When you get your priorities mixed up with someone else's, you have to hash out whether or not you're selling yourself short for someone who won't meet you in the middle. Even if it's not Twoo Wuv, it still has to be a Fair and Equitable Exchange of Goods and Services, or you're wasting your time and breaking your own heart.

Do the math. The less you get from a relationship, the less you have to give back. And if you limit yourself early on, sacrificing life experiences for a measure of security, you ultimately have less to bring to the table. Go. Do Stuff. Live. The love you'll be able to share will be richer and more satisfying, because it won't be a shy girl's love but the love of a confident, experienced and knowledgeable woman.

Become the person you dream of being, and the friends and loves you win will reward you time and again.