Thread: Old movies
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
Sage
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by splin View Post
The Freaks, my all time favourite. It's from 1928 or something. Good movie.
I suspect you mean Todd Browning's Freaks from 1932.
A very cool and very bizarre movie, particularly notable because it featured actual sideshow performers of the day portraying themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
This thread reminds me that I really should get around to watching Sunset Boulevard...
Arguably the first of the "psycho-biddie" micro-genre of films, it is a justified classic and a must-see. Be warned, however, that the pacing of this film might seem a little slow if you're of the MTV generation or younger.

A slightly more recent and much more over-the-top film in the "psycho-biddie" micro-genre is Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?. Sibling rivalry taken to new depths is an understatement!

Also, there's Johnny Guitar, quite possibly the least realistic and most unintentionally funny western ever committed to film. Joan Crawford and Mercedes McCaimbridge (who sounds an awful lot like Rocky the Squirrel from the Bullwinkle cartoons) play two extremely butch characters vying for control of an "Old West" town... and that's just the beginning of this mid-50s farce. Shamelessly hammy over-acting of the type usually seen only in silent movies coupled with repressed sexual tension you could cut with a knife and a near-complete disregard for historical accuracy make this film a must-see.

Share the love.

<3