You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Creepy Father Figure

Default Old movies

I was wondering about movies. Specifically movies that younger people might be overlooking. The ones that for some reason seem to stay fresh in my mind but are not talked about on a regular basis. hopefully by bringing these up we can influence the younger threadmates to see them and relish them as much as we do.
Some of these that rise to my mind are these:
Soylent Green(makes me feel like fasting)
Omega Man(based loosely on the I Am Legend novel)
Original Planet of the Apes(Sorry Tim Burton, your version had so much potential and it looked more like a comedy.Plus the next three after the original are just milking it)
7 Face of Dr.Lao(Awesome movie for it's time, kind of zen but I like that.)

There are more but hopefully others will chime in. listing them all would take me forever and would also cut into the conversation. Hopefully this will lead to me finding some interesting movies I have never seen
Old 03-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Lazy Bee

It's not a mainstream favourite. But this French movie Diva from 1981 has always been a favourite of mine.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Could you define "loosely" for me as you're using it in this context.

Roman Holiday is a romantic movie that manages to avoid the slush nicely.

If you're up to foreign language movies (Swedish forumites excepted ) then The Seventh Seal is a magnificent piece of work from a justly famous director.

Running on Empty is a fantastic (but emotionally challenging) study of how youthful ideals can have long-term consequences.

How old do we think is old in this context? The last one is 1988. Does 21 years count as old?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by stepurhan; 03-14-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #4

The Freaks, my all time favourite. It's from 1928 or something. Good movie.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Could you define "loosely" for me as you're using it in this context.
They stole the basic premise then rewrote a new story around it. Typical Hollywood. In the book the infected survivors were vampire type people and the dead were, well, undead vampires. In the movie they were weird dark zombies who could not handle light. I could go on into the plot but it would,sadly, just destroy the movie.

And Roman Holiday is a wonderful movie! Thank you for reminding me, Now added to my netflix.

We should try to keep this at least below 1990. would be nice to discover movies the younger folks haven't seen and jog our memories of movies we haven't thought about for years.

Last edited by rlpw; 03-14-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post

Saw this a while ago. Charlton Heston!!

Nosferatu, the Werner Herzog remake. Klaus Kinski playing a vampire. What is not to like?

La Soupe Aux Choux One of the very last Funes films, heard he's not all that popular in the US. Most popular French comedian ever, though. Plot: Two buddy farmers are visited by aliens who like their domestic cabbage soup. It starts out as hilariously goofy as it sounds - with the alien being attracted by the two mens' farts and all, but it's played for more than that. It's sentimental and thoughtful compared to most of the straight comedy Funes was involved with. Plus: Kind of catchy main theme. Funes rules.

Don't Look Now.
Eek!

I've got a soft spot for Spencer/Hill movies. So here goes the most awesome jousting duel in the history of cinema: Altrimenti Ci Arrabbiamo (excerpt).

Last edited by samIamsad; 03-15-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:11 AM   #7
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

This thread reminds me that I really should get around to watching Sunset Boulevard...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:19 AM   #8
Fing-longer Inventor

I'm only 21 and I love old movies. Hard to chose a favorite but I'd have to go with North by Northwest or Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid, or Return of the Pink Panther maybe I'd also recommend checking out the old Laurel and Hardy features and some of their shorts, Men 'O' War is Hi-Larrious
Old 03-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by splin View Post
The Freaks, my all time favourite. It's from 1928 or something. Good movie.
I suspect you mean Todd Browning's Freaks from 1932.
A very cool and very bizarre movie, particularly notable because it featured actual sideshow performers of the day portraying themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
This thread reminds me that I really should get around to watching Sunset Boulevard...
Arguably the first of the "psycho-biddie" micro-genre of films, it is a justified classic and a must-see. Be warned, however, that the pacing of this film might seem a little slow if you're of the MTV generation or younger.

A slightly more recent and much more over-the-top film in the "psycho-biddie" micro-genre is Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?. Sibling rivalry taken to new depths is an understatement!

Also, there's Johnny Guitar, quite possibly the least realistic and most unintentionally funny western ever committed to film. Joan Crawford and Mercedes McCaimbridge (who sounds an awful lot like Rocky the Squirrel from the Bullwinkle cartoons) play two extremely butch characters vying for control of an "Old West" town... and that's just the beginning of this mid-50s farce. Shamelessly hammy over-acting of the type usually seen only in silent movies coupled with repressed sexual tension you could cut with a knife and a near-complete disregard for historical accuracy make this film a must-see.

Share the love.

<3
Old 03-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
It's Hard To Be Humble

Big fan of the obvious classics like Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon. Also really enjoy Rear Window and North By Northwest, and I'm an inveterate fan of James Bond movies, despite the objections to Bond as a character. I haven't dug too far into the international classics (Metropolis being an old fave). Most of my 'obscure' film knowledge comes from stuff made in the 70s and 80s, and a fair bit of that stuff has kind of gone on to become cult classics in their own right.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

There's nothing better then some of the "B" sci-fi movies from the 50's and 60's. They were terribly corny, and yet quite entertaining for those very reasons.

I still love the old sci-fi and horror classics as well, The Day The Earth Stood Still, War Of The Worlds, Swamp Thing, Frankenstein, Dracula, etc, etc.

Also, anything with Marilyn Monroe or Yul Brynner and I'm there. Rameses II, in The Ten Commandments? Need I say more? *swoon* And apparently, quite the ladies man...married four times.

I still like a lot of the big stars from the those decades. I still enjoy watching "older" movies with my mom from time to time.

Growing up in the South, of course, Gone With The Wind was an old favorite as well. I think I've seen that movie at least five times, maybe more.

I think one of my favorites is still Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor. The heat between her and Richard Burton onscreen....yowza.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Nosferatu, the Werner Herzog remake. Klaus Kinski playing a vampire. What is not to like?
Great movie, the original is also amazing. There are many good German movies from the silent era, the best being Das Cabinet des Doctor Caligari.

The Phantom Chariot is totally amazing, made by one of my favourite directors Victor Sjöström (called Seastrom when he went to the States).

If we're talking old movies prior to 2000 there are really millions of good ones. It's almost easier to talk about the best movies in the last 8 years then the past 110 years.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Several of my all-time favourites have been mentioned already, including North by Northwest, Casablanca and The Seventh Seal (Say, when you hear the name Bergman, do you immediately think of Ingrid or Ingmar? )

Way too many to list fully, but a selection of my other favourites includes:

Some Like it Hot
Duck Soup
The African Queen
The Third Man
Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Stalag 17
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Dr. Strangelove
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Damn Yankees