View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 02:08 PM   #18
remixor
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer
Thanks for the link, remixor.

As soon as I started reading this, the name "Sokal" popped into my head. Many of the criticisms of Syberia are based on the game not following the classic XYZ game rules, when clearly the whole GOAL of the game was to present a more artistic, atmospheric experience. Very much a French vs. English distinction in that regard. (And no, I'm not rationalizing all of Syberia's faults by saying this).
It's too bad these ends didn't carry over to the means of puzzle design and interaction. I can understand your point, but to me the puzzles felt so mechanical and rote as to utterly contradict much of the excellent atmosphere the game presented, and Kate's interactions simply didn't take advantage of that atmosphere. I think the chief cause of this problem is simply a result of Sokal not actually being a game designer. I'm convinced that if he acted as "creative director", or some similar role, and was paired with someone more well-versed in the practical side of making a good adventure game, better things would result. I guess essentially what I'm saying is that Sokal's vision was indeed more artistic, perhaps in line with what Adams says we need, but ironically his presentation ended up being fairly half and half. And I know you said you weren't rationalizing Syberia's faults, so I'm not actually arguing what you said, I'm just taking your point and applying it to my feelings about the game.

Quote:
Mycroft, I really don't see anything offensive in this, either. It might be if Adams himself was above his own distinction, but he's not. He IS a nerd, and knows he's a nerd. Who else would say something like:
Yes, exactly. For crying out loud, he said he experienced great joy at discovering one implementation of arrays in game programming.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright