View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 11:55 PM   #13
mycroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Well, in your next paragraph you very clearly imply nerd limitations with your painter/canvas maker comment, so I'm not sure your inference of "virulent disease" is entirely warrented. I mean, nerd philosophy and limitations ARE essentially at the heart of game culture. Should he have inserted an extra clause saying something like "Note: nerd tendences should not be considered a virulent disease"?
Here's the thing...I agree with his 'nerd limitation' comment. Hence my painter/canvas maker analogy. The extra clause may have been superfluous. However, you'd think a speaker like him would find subtler ways to get his message across. I agree with what he says. But the phrase 'nerd limitations' sounds extremely arrogant. Actually, most of the article sounds a bit arrogant. What gives credibility to his words anyway ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
He's not demeaning or discounting them. He very explicitly says that they deserve all the accolades they get. The order of the day in this thread seems to be isolating Adams' individual statements, even when his justification is a mere sentence away.
Yeah. The justifications seem very convenient don't they ? I was aware of the justifications mentioned both by Jake and You(I did read the darn article didn't I). I was aware of the 'dreadful stereotype' disclaimer, yet I'm shocked that such a statement was made in the first place. The same goes for the John Carmack sentence. Had it been made by someone else, I probably may not have cared so much. I think the fault partly lies with me, I had an enormous amount of respect for this man. And here I am questioning his credibility...