View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 11:15 PM   #12
remixor
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
I get the point Marek. What upsets me is a person like him resorting to such tripe to get his message across.

[font='Times New Roman',Times,Serif,serif]
I don't know about anyone else here, but I found this particular quote to be extremely offensive. "...are still at the very heart of our culture." He makes it sound as if it were a virulent disease. 'Nerd limitations' ? I beg your pardon ?

Well, in your next paragraph you very clearly imply nerd limitations with your painter/canvas maker comment, so I'm not sure your inference of "virulent disease" is entirely warrented. I mean, nerd philosophy and limitations ARE essentially at the heart of game culture. Should he have inserted an extra clause saying something like "Note: nerd tendences should not be considered a virulent disease"?

Quote:
I want to reiterate that I agree with what he says. That Mr. Carmack and co. -the 'nerds'- couldn't make a decent narrative laden game to save their lives. Because that is what he says between the lines. Which is why abstraction of technology is necessary...to promote creativity and diversity in games. Let not the creator of the canvas only be allowed to paint the picture, allow an artist do it. But don't discount the creator of the canvas. Don't demean him.
Quote:
[/font]
He's not demeaning or discounting them. He very explicitly says that they deserve all the accolades they get. The order of the day in this thread seems to be isolating Adams' individual statements, even when his justification is a mere sentence away.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright