View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 09:24 PM   #10
mycroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Anyone complaining about Ernest Adams making jokes about Metallica or The Matrix is clearly missing the point.
I get the point Marek. What upsets me is a person like him resorting to such tripe to get his message across.

[font='Times New Roman',Times,Serif,serif]
Quote:
And even if it’s no longer true that most game developers are nerds, it is true that nerd enthusiasms and nerd limitations and nerd philosophy are still at the very heart of our culture.
I don't know about anyone else here, but I found this particular quote to be extremely offensive. "...are still at the very heart of our culture." He makes it sound as if it were a virulent disease. 'Nerd limitations' ? I beg your pardon ?

I want to reiterate that I agree with what he says. That Mr. Carmack and co. -the 'nerds'- couldn't make a decent narrative laden game to save their lives. Because that is what he says between the lines. Which is why abstraction of technology is necessary...to promote creativity and diversity in games. Let not the creator of the canvas only be allowed to paint the picture, allow an artist do it. But don't discount the creator of the canvas. Don't demean him.

[/font]