View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #8
undeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I'm curious what kind of reaction the two of you had to the marijuana theory.

There are certain circumstances in which people can be made to get psychiatric care even if they don't want it, like if they're a danger to others or a danger to themselves. So, if she did get caught threatening to, say, kill herself, that could get her pulled in. And psychiatrists do have ways of telling when people are being uncooperative. And while I'm sure it is often possible to fool psychiatrists at least a little bit, she does not seem sound minded enough to do that consistently enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
You have far too much empathy for her, her specific personal issues sound interchangeable, they probably even compare quite pathetically to most others' with similar behavior.

But enough pointless or potentially dangerous conjecture from me, here's something I think could actually be a bit practical: why not find creative ways to limit the durations of interaction with her? ie. schedule vacations that have multiple components so that she'd only be with on one or two of them.

Or try to use other people to keep her in check, she might be confident and comfortable about being judgemental of people she's accustomed to, but may not be willing to show it off in front of third parties with no personal circumstances restraining their behavior and no history of caving in.

Now, I can understand why this would be embarrassing and probably the last thing they might want to do, but it just might work. Her neurotic habits could also be just a pattern that's highly specific to some people, and she might be capable of acting a lot more normal with others. I think the best way to go about something like that is to plan it beforehand and get someone who would know exactly what they're going to be exposed to.

Now I've just remembered that this woman sounds a lot like the mother of this suicidal girl I once heard from. I wish I had saved a copy of that thread.