View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #25
Ninja Dodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo
Hmmn. too bad I have so little interest in vampires. I've even written vampires and I don't like them.
Myeah I don't know. I wasn't especially drawn to the game's theme the first time I played it myself. I actually only bought the thing for research. Was curious about what they did with facial expressions and the like. Turned out my computer couldn't run it so I didn't play it until years later at which point I thoroughly enjoyed it even to the point of changing my opinion of the subject matter in general. Can be interesting. I was a bit reluctant towards some of the more gory aspects of the story (investigating a snuff film among other things) but the character interaction in that game is really something.

Adventure designers could stand to learn a lot from RPGs. If you take out the leveling and combat and leave just the character- and world interaction there's a richness there which is rarely if ever seen in adventure games.

My problem with Dreamfall by the way, is not necessarily even its linearity... it was that they didn't even let you really *do* any of the tasks layed out in the straight line in front of you. Every step of the way Zoe or April would make some inane comment like "Hmmm, I should probably do X" or "What if I did such and such" completely robbing the player of any opportunity to think for themselves. I hate when games do this. Tell me the problem, not the solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I don't like the term "impossible". Difficult, I can accept, but I refuse to believe it's not and never will be possible to have a complex, layered character expressed through gameplay.
Alright, you got me. Impossible is a strong word, though depending on the pace of a game difficult to grasp is effectively the same as impossible. If a game requires quick decisions things need to be gettable. This of course is more crucial in the types of games that Valve generally makes, but not as much in more calmly paced adventuring. Given enough time anything is parseable...