You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Ragnar Tornquist Interview

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #21

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
It doesn't have to be an RPG to be interactive, but give me something to *do*.
I myself was quite content on the things you've to do in Dreamfall, but I'm surely not happy about the lack of things to "look at": I mean - I obviously see by myself those pretty building and those cozy barracks - kudos on the graphics -, but I'd have preferred if everything (or almost everything) could have been observed, and thus perceived even through the eyes of the characters.

I remember, in Gabriel Knight 3, how fun was to click the eye icon on everything to hear Gabriel thoughts about it, some very sarcastic and some very profound, and then do the same thing with Grace to realize the diversity between them - it would have worked greatly for Dreamfall, with April, Zoe and Kian (I only remember this happening with bedding on the bridge leading to prison tower and with the Ivory Tower)
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #22
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I don't think that April is two-dimensional: I believe that she was a very well-rounded character, with a fascinating attitude toward her world - it's when we come to Zoe that things change: I liked her too, but I also think that she clearly demonstrate that Mr. Tornquist has only created another stereotype. Zoe is a little adjusted version of April: is this consideration that - paired with Mr. Tornquist takes on the subject - bugged me a bit
I kinda liked the Zoe character, and even enjoyed her accent, but I will be honest in admitting that, to my mind, Zoe was just a slightly more confident if just as undirected a girl as April. I found Zoe human enough to tolerate, unlike some other female protagonists I've had to endure over the last few years (I think the only other female protagonist from recent games I've played and finished that I actually genuinely liked was Victoria McPherson from Still Life), and actually cared enough about her to see her through all of her trials. So in that she didn't fall too far behind April for me. Still, I really felt she was Ragnar's choice to continue the TLJ formula while telling the more harrowing story of what became of Our April after TLJ as well.

Quote:
I also agree with both of you in placing Tornquist amongst the plot-driven writers: but, I also want to remember that others great examples of plot-driven writers - Lori Ann Cole, Christy Marx, even the late Roberta Williams - didn't make the mistake, in their game, to over-stylized their characters (at least not always) for the mere sake of the story, 'cause - without characters (unless we're talking about Myst) - there isn't an adventure game in the first place.
I think Ragnar actually balances these elements quite well. He creates memorable characters who sound like people we know. He just doesn't give us vast character analyses for every character on screen.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Roberta is still alive. Either that, or her wiki entry needs to be updated, and I need to be directed to the news clipping I missed.

Quote:
Anyway, I'll be extremely glad to be proved wrong by Dreamfall: Chapters (also because, as I stated before, I think that Kian Alvane, if properly written, could be such a wonderful character)
Kian seems to have a lot of potential, but I definitely agree that he was severely underused in the game I bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Well, Lee, if it's any consolation, I didn't think April was two-dimensional (yes, even though she did annoy me sometimes with her whininess), and I've never played any of the Gabriel Knight games. Also, you make some excellent points regarding writing that's more plot-focussed than character-focussed. I think I've said before that Ragnar's a far stronger example of the former (whereas folks like Tim Schafer are more of the latter).

What I've learned from all of this, of course, is that I need to get off my butt and write some realistic female characters of my own.
And probably some more realistic male ones, too.

Quote:
One aspect of stereotypes in narrative is that they are frequently used not out of laziness but for a very deliberate sense of clarity and unambiguous communication between game and player what to expect from this character. The more the game is about interacting differently with characters rather than plot-driven puzzles the more this becomes important. Complex layered characters become impossible to parse in gameplay terms. Valve among others are very big on clarity through design both narrative and visual.
Interesting thought. Probably a better way of explaining what I was saying than constantly referring to shorthand.

Quote:
As for interesting female characters, there've been a few outside the realm of adventure games. Jade from BG&E comes to mind, as does Farah from Sands of Time, or Alyx from Half Life 2. All characters that are not overly sexualized or defined only by their gender.
I have all three of these games (well, I only have one or two of the HL chapters... still haven't picked up the first part), but I still haven't played any of them. I suck.

Quote:
More overtly sexual but still unusually interesting are the Voerman twins in Vampire Bloodlines. If you play all the way through Santa Monica you'll find quite a few layers to their personality...
Hmmn. too bad I have so little interest in vampires. I've even written vampires and I don't like them.

Quote:
Often times a good female lead or secondary character is helped a lot by having a good voice actor(/actress? political correctness \o/ ). That's certainly the case for all of the above.
Voice acting is probably far too important to me. The wrong vocal performance can really ruin a character, as far as I'm concerned. I occasionally track down snippets of their voice actors in other languages (not the games, just youtube type things) just to hear the differences, and it often amazes me how different casting decisions make such a big difference in colouring. But then, I can't judge the performances themselves, given my weakness outside of English.

But back to the interview.

Quote:
I think Ragnar underestimates the importance of resolving story. My one reaction at the end of Dreamfall was: "WTF was that?! You-- Credits, what?!"... I like stories that aren't wrapped up 100% and leave you with some things to think about, but the fact that he still labours under the illusion that Dreamfall's ending was in any way satisfying is disturbing and I hope not indicative of how he intends to conclude the trilogy.
I liked the ending. That said, I've never said folks were wrong to feel disappointed. It's meant to be an uneasy finish. And if he never gets to make Chapters, I'll feel let down, because the TLJ story's importance will be diminished if he ends up completing it as a book or comic. It's not so unique in those formats, and would suffer by comparison.

Quote:
Also the degree to which Dreamfall is not interactive is kind of astounding. The setting begs to be explored... show me the Outcast or Gothic take on Arcadia. Even Monkey Island 2 could teach Dreamfall a thing or two about open worlds... It doesn't have to be an RPG to be interactive, but give me something to *do*.
I wasn't too let down by the gameplay, althougha t first the action game parts threw me.However, like you, I definitely wanted to be able to explore more freely. That was my biggest wish for a sequel; that I'd be able to cross those boundaries and really search around. Maybe a little too Oblivion/Fables of me, but I really wanted to see stuff. Far too many locked doors for my liking.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #23

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Oh, and I'm pretty sure Roberta is still alive. Either that, or her wiki entry needs to be updated, and I need to be directed to the news clipping I missed.
I missed the "r": I intended "later", as in "her later games" (King's Quest V, VI, etc. etc.)

Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #24
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Complex layered characters become impossible to parse in gameplay terms.
I don't like the term "impossible". Difficult, I can accept, but I refuse to believe it's not and never will be possible to have a complex, layered character expressed through gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
I think Ragnar actually balances these elements quite well. He creates memorable characters who sound like people we know. He just doesn't give us vast character analyses for every character on screen.
I believe this was more true in Dreamfall than TLJ, personally. The latter felt a little too on-the-nose and expository, particularly at the start of the game. I'm sure I said as much in the blog entry I linked to in my last post.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo
Hmmn. too bad I have so little interest in vampires. I've even written vampires and I don't like them.
Myeah I don't know. I wasn't especially drawn to the game's theme the first time I played it myself. I actually only bought the thing for research. Was curious about what they did with facial expressions and the like. Turned out my computer couldn't run it so I didn't play it until years later at which point I thoroughly enjoyed it even to the point of changing my opinion of the subject matter in general. Can be interesting. I was a bit reluctant towards some of the more gory aspects of the story (investigating a snuff film among other things) but the character interaction in that game is really something.

Adventure designers could stand to learn a lot from RPGs. If you take out the leveling and combat and leave just the character- and world interaction there's a richness there which is rarely if ever seen in adventure games.

My problem with Dreamfall by the way, is not necessarily even its linearity... it was that they didn't even let you really *do* any of the tasks layed out in the straight line in front of you. Every step of the way Zoe or April would make some inane comment like "Hmmm, I should probably do X" or "What if I did such and such" completely robbing the player of any opportunity to think for themselves. I hate when games do this. Tell me the problem, not the solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I don't like the term "impossible". Difficult, I can accept, but I refuse to believe it's not and never will be possible to have a complex, layered character expressed through gameplay.
Alright, you got me. Impossible is a strong word, though depending on the pace of a game difficult to grasp is effectively the same as impossible. If a game requires quick decisions things need to be gettable. This of course is more crucial in the types of games that Valve generally makes, but not as much in more calmly paced adventuring. Given enough time anything is parseable...